News Stories Tagged africa
Peter Beard has been chronicling Africa for nearly 50 years (not to mention photographing models, first ladies, and pop artists in the meantime). Jetsetting between his tented settlement in Kenya and homes in Manhattan and Montauk, he's easily one of our most iconic Tastemakers.
Setting off on safari means prepping for adventure, beauty, and the unexpected. Pick a read that fits your trip, from the history of the African continent to fictional stories of love and intrigue.
Travel journalist-turned-Peace Corps member Isabel Sterne traded NYC for Namibia last year. Hear her take on adjusting to a very different life in the starkly beautiful southern region of this African country.
Want to get in touch with nature, but not necessarily your neighbors? Spot big game by day, and relax in a private resort by night on the African Plains.
He's written some of our favorite series—No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency, ahem—set in far corners of the world, making us feel like we were solving mysteries with Mma Ramotswe. We caught up with Alexander McCall Smith himself to chat about Botswana and beyond.
It used to be that camping was just tents, s'mores, and the great outdoors. Now, there are tons of plush glamping destinations around the world, like these worthy splurges and reasonable saves.
A safari is a once-in-a-lifetime trip. Whether it's viewing game in Botswana, hanging with the Masai in Kenya, or gaping at the Great Migration. Here are our expert tips for planning your unforgettable safari.
Four Seasons has announced a long-term management deal with the luxe Bilila Lodge in the Serengeti. With upgrades planned for the fall, the name will change to Four Seasons Safari Lodge Serengeti.
Reading trip reports from other travelers can be an invaluable resource for planning your next vacation. They're often great for gathering information on topics such as what to expect when you land, where to find top hotels and the best under-the-radar restaurants, and when to book ahead for must-do activities. Essentially, it's all about the experience of what worked—and perhaps even more importantly, what didn't.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina, Right Now
- Ultimate Walt Disney World 2014 Planner
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- America's 10 Best Spots for Seeing Wildflowers
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- 15 Most Breathtaking World Heritage Sites
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $249* -- Seattle to Fairbanks this Spring, One WayAlaska Airlines
- $707 & up -- Panama Canal & Beach 6-Nt. w/Air & HotelsTripMasters.com
- $278* -- Anchorage to Maui this Spring, One WayAlaska Airlines
- $1699 -- China: 3-City, 8-Night Vacation w/Air, Save $300Friendly Planet Travel
- $239-$269 -- NYC: Weekends at 4-Star Times Square HotelSheraton New York Times Square
- $99* -- Seattle to Santa Rosa this Spring, One WayAlaska Airlines