News Stories Tagged Tipping
Do you know who to tip and how much when traveling? Here's a handy cheat sheet to prevent you from ever tipping too much or too little again.
Do you tip like a Rockefeller? Or do you blush at the thought of that kind of monetary exchange? Jacob Tomsky, author of the new book Heads in Beds, gives us a lesson in best hotel tipping practices. (Hint: do it.)
Instead of leaving the tip on the table, add it to the total amount when you pay. For example, if the bill is €2.70, tell the waitress "€3 please" when she comes to collect the money.
It's officially forbidden by the government, and locals simply don't do it. In general, follow their lead without qualms. Nevertheless, the practice is beginning to catch on, especially among tour guides, who often expect Y10 a day.
The doorman may assist you with your luggage, for which you may tip $1-$2 for their assistance. When checking in, it is not customary to offer a tip to the front desk.
In restaurants you must ask for the check (it's considered rude to bring it unbidden) except in cafés, where a register slip often comes with your order. Gratuities (servis) are included in the bill, but leave some small change on the table: a few cents for drinks, €1 for lunch, or €3 for dinner.
In many Central American countries, a 10% to 15% tip is already built into the bill. Leave a little extra if your experience was really fantastic.
Tip only for good service. Costa Rica doesn't have a tipping culture, but positive reinforcement goes a long way. Taxi drivers aren't tipped, but leave an extra 200â€“300 colones if they've helped you navigate a complicated set of directions.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Black Friday/Cyber Monday 2014: The Best Travel Deals
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in Paris
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- 7 Under-The-Radar All-Inclusive Resorts
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- 15 Under-the-Radar Vacation Destinations
- 10 Places to Go This Winter
- How to Use the Internet to Find the Best Airplane Seats
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- World's Best Honeymoon Destinations for 2014
- $849 & up -- Ends 12/2: Hawaii Cruises w/$250 CreditNorwegian Cruise Line
- $699 & up -- Ends 12/2: Canada Cruises w/$250 CreditNorwegian Cruise Line
- $60 & up -- Myrtle Beach Fall Deals, Save up to 20%Visit Myrtle Beach
- $110 & up -- Southwest Florida 4-Diamond Resort, Save 65%The Westin Cape Coral Resort at Marina Village
- $133 & up -- Toronto Harbour Hotel over Weekends, Save $50Westin Harbour Castle Toronto
- $159 -- Caribbean 5-Night Cruise on Princess w/$50 CreditPrincess Cruises