News Stories Tagged Tipping
Do you tip like a Rockefeller? Or do you blush at the thought of that kind of monetary exchange? Jacob Tomsky, author of the new book Heads in Beds, gives us a lesson in best hotel tipping practices. (Hint: do it.)
Instead of leaving the tip on the table, add it to the total amount when you pay. For example, if the bill is €2.70, tell the waitress "€3 please" when she comes to collect the money.
It's officially forbidden by the government, and locals simply don't do it. In general, follow their lead without qualms. Nevertheless, the practice is beginning to catch on, especially among tour guides, who often expect Y10 a day.
The doorman may assist you with your luggage, for which you may tip $1-$2 for their assistance. When checking in, it is not customary to offer a tip to the front desk.
In restaurants you must ask for the check (it's considered rude to bring it unbidden) except in cafés, where a register slip often comes with your order. Gratuities (servis) are included in the bill, but leave some small change on the table: a few cents for drinks, €1 for lunch, or €3 for dinner.
In many Central American countries, a 10% to 15% tip is already built into the bill. Leave a little extra if your experience was really fantastic.
Tip only for good service. Costa Rica doesn't have a tipping culture, but positive reinforcement goes a long way. Taxi drivers aren't tipped, but leave an extra 200â€“300 colones if they've helped you navigate a complicated set of directions.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 25 Things To Do in New York This Fall
- Europe's 10 Most Epic Hiking Trails
- 10 Best U.S. Train Trips to Take This Fall
- Global Entry vs. TSA PreCheck: Which One Is Right for You?
- 10 Places to Go This Fall
- How to Get a Seat Upgrade
- Ultimate Guide to European Rail Passes
- What's the One Thing Fodor's Editors Never Travel Without?
- Wine Lover's Guide to St. Helena
- Vote for Fodor's Travel to Go to the 2015 SXSW Festival
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $89* & up -- Canada: Fare Sale from Across the U.S., O/WAir Canada
- $1647 & up -- Bangkok, Singapore, Hong Kong 9-Nt. Trip w/AirTripMasters.com
- $559 -- Cruise Two Continents: 15 Nights plus $100 CreditCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $134-$151 -- Cabo All-Inclusive Beach Resort, Save 50%Riu Santa Fe
- $749 -- Oceanview: 7-Nt. Alaska Cruise w/All Drinks & TipsCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $721* & up -- Europe Fall Fares from the U.S., R/TAir France