News Stories Tagged Tahiti
You know what's been missing from those long-haul trips to Australia and New Zealand you've been taking? A three-night stay in Tahiti on the house. Thankfully, Air Tahiti Nui has stepped up to the plate.
Need an excuse to cruise the South Pacific? Look no further. Paul Gauguin Cruises is offering amazing deals (one is just through Saturday, May 19!) on 7- to 14-night sailings in the region.
Looking for last-minute getaways that won’t break the bank? You can give in to the impulse, as these six sites make it easy for the wallet-conscious to travel like a spontaneous globe-trotter.
Stop by the Musée de la Perle Robert Wan to learn about the pearls and the man who jumpstarted the industry in the ’60s. The museum will also give you some tips on how to ensure that you’re picking out an authentic black pearl.
Although French and English are widely spoken, the Tahitian language, or reo Tahiti, has been experiencing a resurgence as islanders become increasingly interested in honoring their roots. "Hello" is ia orana; "good-bye" is nana; and "thank you" is mauru'uru.
The true story of this remarkable female traveler is told in Glynis Ridley’s The Discovery of Jeanne Baret. Here are some of the highlights of Baret's story and the natural wonders along the way. Re-tracing her journey, dates are given for each location, so you can see how long it took an 18th-century ship to complete the voyage under sail.
For many, a trip to the South Pacific—dotted with over 20,000 total landmasses, large and small—is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Australia and New Zealand draw a lot of the attention, as well as vacationers, from their smaller neighbors, but it’s possible to add a Polynesian stop in Hawaii, Fiji, or Tahiti to a down under adventure.
Although French and English are widely spoken, the Tahitian language, or reo Tahiti, has been experiencing a resurgence as islanders become increasingly interested in honoring their roots. "Hello" is ia orana; "good-bye" is nana; and "thank you" is mauru’uru.
You’ve surely seen pictures of Tahiti’s signature auberge (OVB), perched on stilts out over the cerulean waters, but did you know that they can easily go for a grand a night? If you’re willing to bypass sleeping on Bora Bora, you can find OVBs on Raiatea or Moorea for around 50% (or more!) cheaper.
There's no way around one basic fact: French Polynesia is an expensive destination. Take it from us, though, that with the right amount of budget smarts it can be conquered.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 11 Cyber Monday Travel Deals at Beach Hotels
- Ultimate Safari Planner
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- 10 Cheeses Worth Traveling For
- Venice's Ban on Cruise Ships: What it Means for You
- World's 10 Coolest Ice Hotels
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- America's Best Wine Bars
- 10 Best US Ski Resorts for Families
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1198-$1278* -- New Zealand Fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand
- $1645 -- UAE: Dubai & Abu Dhabi 6-Night Vacation, $550 OffGoway Travel with Definitely Dubai & Abu Dhabi Tourism
- $229 & up -- Caribbean 7-Night Cruise; Kids Sail FreeNorwegian Cruise Line
- $1739 -- Spring Sale: 7-Night Holland & Belgium River CruiseAvalon Waterways