News Stories Tagged Sweden
High on design, Stockholm is the perfect place for a summertime stay. Its long sunny days invite locals and visitors into the outdoors for daytime strolls and evening sips. Pack right and you'll fit right in.
Stockholm is more than IKEA, ABBA, and Absolut. From a sunken ship museum and petting zoos to cobblestone streets and outdoor thrills, this city surrounded by water has charms for all ages.
Home to eight Michelin-starred restaurants, Stockholm is a definite dining capital. And while new restaurants pop up constantly, we picked the best of the newcomers to try now.
Yes, you read that right. A new hotel chain in Gothenburg, Sweden offers nights representative of how the city's homeless live, with proceeds going to support job creation.
The promise of chilly temps tends to send us all indoors. But we think it's time to embrace the snow with trips to these wintry wonderlands—think hot springs, snow tubing, and ice hotels.
After a brief hiatus, we are back with our eighth Travel Tastemaker...Marcus Samuelsson! The award-winning chef and TV personality with great style and an incurable case of wanderlust divulges his favorite destinations, his wish-list trip, and where we can find him eating in NYC.
This might just be the best cruise ship you've never heard of. We're just back from cruising with Hapag-Lloyd in Germany, and points beyond, and we're practically in withdrawals.
One of the quickest ways to feel like a local is to eat like one. To "fika" is quintessentially Swedish, and its a delicious, daily tradition you won't want to miss out on.
A really good film will take you places, sending you not just on an emotional or intellectual journey, but also transporting you to the film’s locale, thanks to its strong sense of place. From this year’s list of Academy Award-nominated films, travel takes a front-seat view, transporting you from the Hawaiian tropics to small-town Mississippi, and from exotic Bangkok to the old train stations of Paris and London. Read on for a roundup of some of this year's most transporting film locations.
Admittedly, Europe's "Big 3" are hard to beat. But if you're looking for new experiences, our Europe-trotting Fodorites recommend where to go after you've been to Paris, London, and Rome.
Since the film The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, set in Sweden's capital, is up for a few Golden Globes this Sunday, we thought it would be fun to call on our Stockholm correspondent for a roundup of the city's highlights. Hop aboard a flight on EasyJet or Ryanair for a mere $30 from London, or about $60 from Paris, and within a couple of hours you can tour the bohemian hood featured in the film, browse through modern, funky vintage shops, and sample cutting-edge Nordic cuisine.
Denmark, Great Britain, Sweden, and Switzerland, although part of the European Union, are not part of the monetary union, and therefore each uses its local currency.
Between early June and mid-July the sun doesn’t set here—a phenomenon known as the midnight sun. Some of the prettiest places to take in this phenomenon are Bodo, Narvik, and Nordkapp in Norway; or while skiing the King’s Trail in northern Sweden. Equally moving (though in a less gleeful way) is the reverse experience at the height of winter, when the Arctic goes completely dark for a few months.
The tumbling euro may be enough to inspire some travelers to take a European vacation this summer. But in case added incentives are needed, we've come up with another 16 reasons why you should go now.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Last-Minute Beach Getaways for Summer
- 20 Best Day Trips in the U.S.
- Top 10 State Fairs in the U.S.
- How to Renew Your Passport
- Long Weekend in Lisbon
- 10 of Hemingway's Favorite Haunts
- How to Use Twitter to Rebook a Canceled Flight
- How to Cure Jet Lag
- Wine Lover's Guide to South Africa
- Car Lover's Guide to Germany
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $9.10 & up -- Car Rentals across the U.S.CarRentals.com
- $2149 & up -- Luxe China River Cruise w/Air, $1100 OffVacances Sinorama
- $529 & up -- Riviera Maya: 4-Star Eco Getaway w/Air, 55% OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $2839 & up -- Sydney, Adelaide, Cairns 12-Nt. Trip w/AirDown Under Answers
- $3115 & up -- China: Shanghai & Beijing Escape w/Air & ToursGreat Value Vacations
- $1519 & up -- Singapore, Kuala Lumpur & Bali 6 Nts. w/AirTripMasters.com