News Stories Tagged Surfing
For great towns with the best waves, check out our list of the top surfing destinations around the country.
If all you've seen is Machu Picchu, Cusco, and Lima, you've only scratched the surface of Peru. Why not tack on a little beach time in the chill surf town of Mancora?
We love a luxe getaway as much as the next person. But sometimes, adventure calls. And these land-and-sea adventures, from easy to hard, are all within a stone's throw of Vancouver.
Santa Cruz has got a lot going for it, what with laidback bohemian vibes, world-class swells, and a Michelin-starred eatery. Take it all in without making a fashion misstep with these top tips.
Surfer-centric town Paia, on Maui’s North Shore, welcomed a new luxury resort to its midst in early March. Located on six acres of former sugarcane land, not far from famous surf spot Ho’okipa Beach, Lumeria Maui is an experiential retreat with programs and classes centered on yoga, surfing, meditation, and Hawaiian culture.
Within Uruguay’s borders are some of the top beaches in South America—and now is the prime time to visit. Each beach has its own distinct vibe and personality, making it perfect for whatever type of retreat you desire.
Beach breaks are the best type for beginners. Waves break over sandbars and the seafloor. Jacó, Hermosa, and Sámara are all beach breaks. Point breaks are created as waves hit a point jutting into the ocean.
For years, Bali was a backpacker’s dream but now the Indonesian island is all grown up. From Ubud to Seminyak, we've got the inside scoop on the best yoga, beaches, surfing, spas, restaurants, and hotels—plus when to go and how to get here.
The waves switch with the seasons—they're big in the south in summer, and they loom large in the north in winter. If you're not experienced, it's best to go where the waves are small. There will be fewer crowds, and your chances of injury dramatically decrease.
Decide whether you want a hotel on the leeward side of an island (with calm water, good for snorkeling and swimming) or the windward (with waves, good for surfing, not good for swimming).
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- The 7 Best Family Beaches in the East
- 10 Budget-Friendly Getaways for Spring 2015
- Exchanging Your Money Abroad: 10 Simple Tips
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in Paris
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- 10 Things to Do in Orlando Besides Theme Parks
- A Fool-Proof Amalfi Coast Itinerary
- Fodor's Go List 2015
- 10 Best Caribbean All-Inclusive Resorts for 2015
- Italy: What to Skip, and Where to Go Instead
- $1599* & up -- Business Class Flights to Brazil (Roundtrip)TAM Airlines
- $799 & up -- Hilton All-Incl. Jamaica Escape w/Air; $590 OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $97 & up -- 4-Star Lake Las Vegas Resort incl. WeekendsWestin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa
- $99 -- Florida: Captiva Hotel w/Daily Breakfast and ExtrasCaptiva Island Inn
- $4199 -- Exotic Tahiti & Hawaii Cruise w/$400 Credit & AirOceania Cruises
- $135 & up -- 4-Star Curacao Beach Resort w/$50 Daily CreditBookIt.com