News Stories Tagged Surfing
For great towns with the best waves, check out our list of the top surfing destinations around the country.
If all you've seen is Machu Picchu, Cusco, and Lima, you've only scratched the surface of Peru. Why not tack on a little beach time in the chill surf town of Mancora?
We love a luxe getaway as much as the next person. But sometimes, adventure calls. And these land-and-sea adventures, from easy to hard, are all within a stone's throw of Vancouver.
Santa Cruz has got a lot going for it, what with laidback bohemian vibes, world-class swells, and a Michelin-starred eatery. Take it all in without making a fashion misstep with these top tips.
Surfer-centric town Paia, on Maui’s North Shore, welcomed a new luxury resort to its midst in early March. Located on six acres of former sugarcane land, not far from famous surf spot Ho’okipa Beach, Lumeria Maui is an experiential retreat with programs and classes centered on yoga, surfing, meditation, and Hawaiian culture.
Within Uruguay’s borders are some of the top beaches in South America—and now is the prime time to visit. Each beach has its own distinct vibe and personality, making it perfect for whatever type of retreat you desire.
Beach breaks are the best type for beginners. Waves break over sandbars and the seafloor. Jacó, Hermosa, and Sámara are all beach breaks. Point breaks are created as waves hit a point jutting into the ocean.
For years, Bali was a backpacker’s dream but now the Indonesian island is all grown up. From Ubud to Seminyak, we've got the inside scoop on the best yoga, beaches, surfing, spas, restaurants, and hotels—plus when to go and how to get here.
The waves switch with the seasons—they're big in the south in summer, and they loom large in the north in winter. If you're not experienced, it's best to go where the waves are small. There will be fewer crowds, and your chances of injury dramatically decrease.
Decide whether you want a hotel on the leeward side of an island (with calm water, good for snorkeling and swimming) or the windward (with waves, good for surfing, not good for swimming).
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Visit Cleveland Now
- Three Places in the Dominican Republic to Visit Now | Fodor's
- Where to Eat in NYC for Fall 2014
- 20 of the World's Best Romantic Hotels
- America's 10 Best Cocktail Bars
- 20 Hotels That Are Soaked in History
- 10 Best Home Estate Tours in the U.S.
- Long Weekend in Copenhagen | Fodor's
- How to Use Your Cell Phone Internationally
- 4 Reasons to Explore the Alentejo | Fodor's
- $798* -- Exotic Cook Island fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand
- $139-$162 -- 4-Star Phoenix-Area Resort incl. WeekendsSheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort & Spa
- $183 & up -- NYC: 4-Star Downtown Tribeca Hotel, 40% OffSheraton New York Tribeca
- $2499 -- China: 13-Nt. Trip w/River Cruise & Air, $1000 OffSinorama Holidays
- $94-$151 -- Chicago: 4-Star Michigan Avenue Hotel, 55% OffThe Westin Michigan Avenue
- $185 & up -- New 4-Star Punta Cana 'Westin' Resort, Save 25%Westin Puntacana Resort & Club