News Stories Tagged Sights
You might think that most historically significant events are well-marked at landmarks we're all familiar with. But, as author Andrew Carroll discovered, some major events in our country's history happened at places that have long been forgotten.
You've strolled Avenue Montaigne, had a macaron at Laduree, and sipped wine next to the Louvre. Want more Paris? Do as the locals do, and book it to Canal St. Martin's chic streets.
The Statue of Liberty is set to reopen on her 126th birthday, just one year after closing for renovations. Visitors will find upgraded restrooms, stairways, safety systems, and new elevators.
Don't know much (or anything) about presidential sites? Well, Kenneth Davis, author of Don't Know Much About the American Presidents picked 10 sites for us to see this election year, from boyhood homes to distilleries.
London's soaring to new heights, even post-Olympics. The Emirates Air Line, which opened earlier this summer, transports passengers high above the Thames for a ski lift-like trip to east London.
Riviera Maya is one of Mexico's most beautiful beach destinations, but it's also home to an incredible array of ruins dating back thousands of years. Hurry and get some ancient adventure in before it's all over.
You may know about its idyllic green, pastoral landscapes, but Wales is full of surprises—from mushroom foraging and 'Great Little Trains' to a village of castles, coasteering, and tons of Joneses
Few countries can offer what Italy can in the way of local culinary specialties, art, and architecture, Oh, and throngs of tourists. Skip the beaten paths, and hit these worthy alternatives instead.
It was announced yesterday that the UNESCO World Heritage List added an 11th site in Turkey, called Catalhoyuk. Located in Konya, it's rife with early human artifacts like sculptures and wall paintings.
One of the most legendary archeological sites in Sicily, the Villa Romana del Casale at Piazza Armerina, reopened on July 4 after a six-year hiatus. During that time, this UNESCO heritage site was painstakingly restored by 50 experts, and at a cost of 18 million euros.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Where to Go This Summer
- 4 Great Places to Stay Near Yellowstone National Park
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- The Beginner's Guide to Glamping
- Bangkok 101: What (and Where) to Eat
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- Summer 2013 Guide to New York City
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3152 & up -- Italy Luxury Trip w/Air & Rail between CitiesSceptre Tours
- $92 -- Cabo: All-Inclusive Beachfront Resort, Save 50%Hotel Riu Sante Fe
- $150 & Up -- Old Montreal 4-Diamond Hotel, 40% OffLe Westin Montreal
- $2999 & up -- Sydney & New Zealand 12-Nt Escape w/ToursDown Under Answers