News Stories Tagged New England
With summer winding down, New England and Canada's cruise season is heating up. A range of leaf-peeping and fall-focused itineraries are available from September, on luxury and value ships.
This June, visitors to Nantucket Island can bunk down at the new Chapman House hotel, set to open its doors in the heart of Old Nantucket Town. The property will exude a modern beach-house feel with retro-chic touches.
After touring the Museum of Science in Boston, take the family to one of the six eateries in the Riverview Cafe located in the Red Wing on the first level.
Every September and October, leaf peepers arrive to cruise along country lanes, join outdoor adventures, or simply stroll on town greens. We've got the basics to plan your trip, from tips to help predict the peak to downloadable Itineraries.
Weekend traffic heading to the Maine Coast along its feeder roads, I–95 and U.S. 1, can be brutally frustrating, especially at the tollbooths. If you travel midweek instead (or outside of peak season), you won't find yourself nearly as stymied.
Taking the kids on a fall-foliage road-trip through New England this year? We've rounded up nine family-friendly attractions that are worth a detour along the way. You can visit New England's only beluga whale, drop by a working farm to see how cheese is made, learn about astronomy at a university planetarium, set foot on the historic landing spot of American pilgrims, and a lot more. Better yet, most of these memorable family experiences will cost less than a tank of gas.
If you are what you eat, then most Cape Codders would be a clam . . . or maybe a lobster roll. It should go without saying that a land named for a type of fish would abound with opportunities to sample tasty seafood, and Cape Cod does not disappoint.
Long, wide beaches edge the New England coast from southern Maine to southern Connecticut, with dozens dotting the shores of Cape Cod, Martha’s Vineyard, and Nantucket. The waters are at their warmest in August, though they’re cold even at the height of summer along much of Maine.
For updates on fall foliage conditions, call the National Forest Service's Fall Color Hotline at (800) 354-4595. But don't be surprised if you're too early or too late to see colors. Autumn color is a process not a single moment, and from the end of September to mid- to late October you can usually be guaranteed great colors somewhere in New England...
Summer's over and you need something to look forward to, right? A quick trip out into the country makes the perfect antidote to the back-to-school blues. From Boston to Seattle, here are our favorite long weekend trips away from the major cities.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Last-Minute Memorial Day Deals
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- 4 Perfect Southern Summer Itineraries
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Airline Uniforms Get a Fashion Update
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
- Tips from the Jet Set: How to Do Paris Right
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1428 & up -- Castles & Abbey: 6-Nt. Ireland Trip w/AirSceptre Tours
- $99 -- Phoenix All-Suite Resort w/Waterpark, 40% OffArizona Grand Resort & Spa
- $169 & up -- 4-Star French Quarter Hotel, Save 45%Expedia
- $197 & up -- Boston: AAA 4-Diamond Waterfront Hotel, 40% OffThe Westin Boston Waterfront
- $649 & up -- 7-Night Cruise thru Mediterranean in SummerRoyal Caribbean
- $829* & up -- Scandinavia Late Summer & Fall Sale Fares, R/TScandinavian Airlines