News Stories Tagged Morocco
From a tasting tour of China's regional cuisines to a cooking class in the foothills of Morocco's Atlas Mountains, these 10 food-focused experiences are among the tastiest in the world.
Bazaars, souks, spices—oh my! Marrakesh tops many a traveler's wish list and for good reason. Pack these chic picks and you'll be haggling like a pro and dining alfresco like a local in no time.
Think of Morocco, and you probably think of the bustling souks of Marrakech. But the country's rich landscape boasts beaches, mountains, gorges, and cities. Explore them all on this itinerary.
If you're getting ready for a long-awaited, sun-drenched trip to Morocco (or if you're simply dreaming of a far-off land) you'll want to pick up one of these illuminating reads before you go.
When it comes to hotels, Marrakech has some very plush, lavish accommodations. From a 27,000-square-foot spa and rooftop plunge pools to iPads in every room to courtyards shaded by olive trees.
Whether you're hiking in the Atlas Mountains, sitting by the beach in Essaouira, or strolling the streets of Fez or Marrakech, you'll find unforgettable food and wine all over Morocco. Here are our picks.
Everyone's favorite iconic South Beach hotel is making waves abroad—the Delano opened their latest property in Marrakech last month and we got to take a sneak peek.
Visitors to Morocco see only a small (albeit beautiful) part of the country if they only stop in Marrakech. Author Lawrence Osborne gives us the inside track on exploring the countryside.
Do you dream of strolling through the iconic, colorful souks of Morocco, spotting gorgeous items to bring home for yourself and loved ones? Arm yourself with these top tips from author Laurie R. King.
Located five minutes from Marrakech’s vibrant Medina, Selman Marrakech, an ultra-luxurious boutique hotel, is opening on May 1. The property will offer a band of purebred Arabian horses (with their own designer stable, no less), in addition to dreamy Moorish design, elaborate artisan craftsmanship, and 56 couture rooms by French designer Jacques Garcia.
Looking to indulge in a spring break escape, minus the throngs of drunken college kids and $3 tequila shots? Here are five suggestions for sophisticated spring break getaways for grown-ups, delivering romantic brushes, adrenaline rushes, gastronomic indulgences, and more.
People come first; the actions to be accomplished are secondary. Moroccans shake hands with each other every time they meet. Nothing can happen without politeness: if you have a problem and lose your temper, you give up hope of solving it.
Official guides have a badge to prove it and cost about 300 DH a day. The rates of unofficial guides are negotiable, and you should fix them in advance. In places like Fez you’ll find you need a guide just to protect yourself from being approached by other guides.
You must negotiate when purchasing Moroccan specialties. There’s no rule for the percentage by which you should aim to reduce the price, because some vendors start with a decent price and others start by inflating the price ten- or twenty-fold. Any kind of intermediary, like a guide, will inflate the price.
The Muslim calendar is lunar, and dates for Ramadan and other religious holidays shift back 11 days each year. Non-Muslim travelers will probably want to avoid a visit at this time. During this monthlong fast all cafés and nearly all restaurants are closed during the day, and the pace of work is reduced.
They're simply not acceptable for either sex anywhere in Morocco, except at the beach. Although this is a moderate Islamic society, it is best to adhere to modest dress in public.
Moroccans shake hands with each other every time they meet. Nothing can happen without politeness: if you have a problem and lose your temper, you give up hope of solving it. A combination of courtesy and persistence is the best approach. Remember that people come first; the actions to be accomplished are secondary.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Last-Minute Beach Getaways for Summer
- 20 Best Day Trips in the U.S.
- 10 of Hemingway's Favorite Haunts
- Long Weekend in Lisbon
- 15 Best Beer Gardens in the U.S.
- How to Renew Your Passport
- How to Cure Jet Lag
- Wine Lover's Guide to South Africa
- 8 Cooling Beauty Products for Beating the Heat
- How to Use Twitter to Rebook a Canceled Flight
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $599 & up -- Ends 7/26: Alaska Cruise Sale w/Onboard SpendNorwegian Cruise Line
- $119 -- Wisconsin: 4-Star Lake Geneva Resort, 50% OffGrand Geneva Resort & Spa
- $169 -- Downtown Dallas 4-Star Hotel, Save 25%Sheraton Dallas Hotel
- $309-$339 -- Suite at Waikiki Resort w/Beach Pkg., Save $200Embassy Suites Waikiki Beach Walk
- $95 & up -- Puerto Rico: Old Town San Juan Hotel, Save 15%Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel & Casino
- $79 -- Weekends at Dallas-Area 4-Diamond Hotel, Save 45%The Westin Park Central Dallas