News Stories Tagged Maryland
"Crabcakes and football—it's what Maryland does!" Wedding Crashers is right, but there's even more to Maryland and this summer is the perfect time to explore it all.
We don't like it either, but summer is nearing its end. There is one last hurrah we can all plan ahead for, though, and that's Labor Day. Here are the top deals to book now to finish up summer right.
Make a visit to the National Pinball Museum in Baltimore, Maryland, which features approximately 100 pinball machines, 50 of which are available to play.
At the United States Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland, park on the street or in the public parking lot.
Now that summer has officially arrived, crowds are going to be flocking to the coast to beat the heat. We've got some insider best bets for the most blissfully uncrowded stretches of sand from Massachusetts to South Carolina.
From the first shots fired on Fort Sumter to the surrender at Appomattox Court House, the Civil War Sesquicentennial will commemorate this tumultuous period in U.S. history. Many of the famous battlefields and historic sites are preserved for today's visitors.
This month marks the 145th anniversary of Robert E. Lee's surrender to Ulysses S. Grant at the Appomattox Courthouse. Yet you don't have to be a history buff to appreciate the significance of these seminal venues; in ways large and small, they helped determine the course of U.S. history.
In celebration of July 4th, Fodor's member MRand posed a question to fellow travelers in the United States forum: "What's the most impressive U.S. history site you've seen?". Over 75 nominations were posted. Unsurprisingly, many of the sites could be found in the country's capital, Washington, D.C., but there were also several located elsewhere in the U.S. and around the world. Below are just a few of the sites mentioned by members, as well as their description of their visit's experience.... What site do you think belongs on this list? Add your nomination...
MonticelloCharlottesville, VA... "Monticello. On a fall morning, fog covering the valley below, only about a dozen people there" -- mrand... Have you been here? Rate and review this experience... The Lincoln MemorialWashington, D.C.... "The Lincoln Memorial - not only for all the obvious reasons - but also because of it's later symbolic associations - including Marion Anderson's concert there after being barred from using the DAR Hall because she...
A great way to see some of the best lighthouses on the East Coast...
Baltimore does not belong to one writer. Instead, this southernmost of northern cities belongs to many, from Francis Scott Key, who penned the words to the national anthem after watching the bombardment of Ft. McHenry during the War of 1812, to Anne Tyler, a contemporary writer who captures the quirkiness of Baltimore and its inhabitants in novels such as The Accidental Tourist.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Last-Minute Memorial Day Deals
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- 4 Perfect Southern Summer Itineraries
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Airline Uniforms Get a Fashion Update
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
- Tips from the Jet Set: How to Do Paris Right
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1172 & up -- Athens, Santorini & Istanbul 6-Nt.Trip w/AirEuropeanDestinations.com
- $1199 & up -- Madrid & Barcelona 6-Night Trip w/Air & HotelsEuropeanDestinations.com
- $135 & up -- Charlotte, N.C.: Uptown Hotel, $200 OffThe Westin Charlotte
- $728 & up -- Costa Rica Volcano & Beach 5 Nts. w/Air & CarLatinDestinations.com
- $699 & up -- Curacao Beach Resort & Casino Trip w/AirCheapCaribbean.com
- $119 & up -- Weekends at Downtown St. Louis Hotel, Save $180Sheraton St. Louis City Center Hotel & Suites