News Stories Tagged Mardi Gras
Celebrate Mardi Gras like a New Orleans local this year. Check out our insider's guide to what to do, where to eat, and where to stay.
If there's one time you can't know what to expect until you get there, it's when you're asked to ride on a Mardi Gras float in New Orleans. My answer? Hell yes. And I'd go back in a heartbeat.
The New Orleans festival season is in full swing—Mardi Gras finishes up this week, the French Quarter Fest gets going April 12–15, and Jazz Fest hits town April 27–May 6 with an amazing lineup. Whether you’re headed south for the fêtes or anytime in between, there’s a new French Quarter hotel worth checking out (er, into).
New Orleans is as ready as ever to laissez les bon temps rouler, or "let the good times roll," and indulge in the annual bacchanal of Mardi Gras and its grand finale on Fat Tuesday, which falls on February 21 this year. But book soon—many hotels are already sold out.
Chicory was once used to stretch coffee supplies. Today, New Orleanians add the roasted root in their coffee to add richness and smoothness to the drink. Try it at CC's Coffehouse, French Market, Luzianne, and Café Du Monde.
New Orleans is known for lots of local flavor, from pralines and po' boys to beignets and chicory coffee. But for a true taste of Mardi Gras, you can't beat a King Cake. If you aren't traveling to New Orleans soon, you can even order one today to have the celebration come to you before Fat Tuesday on March 8th.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Places to Go This Fall
- 10 Best Casino Restaurants in the World
- Top 10 Fall Trips for Food Lovers
- 11 Must-See Ch?teaux Outside Paris
- 10 Best U.S. Train Trips to Take This Fall
- World's Best Golf Resorts
- Europe's 10 Most Epic Hiking Trails
- Long Weekend in Palenque, Mexico
- Top 5 New York City Activities for Teens
- How to Pack Light for a Trip
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $263 & up -- 4-Star Grand Cayman Beach Resort, Save 65%The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
- $1774* & up -- Premium Economy Fares to Paris (Roundtrip)Air France
- $419 & up -- 7-Nt. Caribbean Cruises incl. Extras & UpgradesNorwegian Cruise Line
- $757* & up -- Global Sale on 5-Star Airline, R/T incl. TaxQatar Airways
- $3150 & up -- Shanghai & Beijing 6-Nt. Vacation w/AirGreat Value Vacations
- $119 & up -- D.C. Area Hotel Sale thru Summer, 20% OffStarwood Hotels and Resorts