News Stories Tagged Madrid
One of our editors weighs in on the best Spanish-language schools in Madrid and where to stay on a budget.
Ernest Hemingway was not only a great writer; he was also an ambitious traveler who spent extended periods of time in Paris, Madrid, Pamplona, Venice, Havana, and Key West.
In our inaugural Ask Fodor's column, one of our editors gives advice on how to travel by rail in Spain and the most scenic driving routes to take from Madrid.
Even if you're not the most observant tourist, it's hard not to take notice of the literary history that abounds in Madrid. Here are five essential stops on any literary tour of Spain's capital.
From tapas dive bars to triple Michelin-starred restaurants, Madrid's dining scene has it all. Here are our five recommendations for where to eat in Madrid right now.
The Only YOU Hotel & Lounge Madrid has debuted in Madrid's design- and fashion-conscious Chueca district as the first location for this brand-new boutique-hotel brand.
In Spain, the gin and tonic (called "gin tonics") is an art form with carefully chosen gin and small-batch tonics often prepared table-side. Indulge in this can't-miss cocktail at these five Madrid hot spots.
Purchase the Paseo del Arte (Art Walk) pass for easy access to three art museums in Madrid.
In Madrid, the Art Walk pass allows you to visit the Prado, the Reina Sofía, and the Thyssen-Bornemisza for €20.80. You can buy it at any of the three museums, and you don't have to visit all of them on the same day.
Admittedly, Europe's "Big 3" are hard to beat. But if you're looking for new experiences, our Europe-trotting Fodorites recommend where to go after you've been to Paris, London, and Rome.
These days, most people are watching their wallets, but a trip to Europe is just a seat sale or mileage redemption award away. Madrid is the perfect gateway for exploring the continent, although once you get a taste of this fabulous, multifaceted city you may just want to spend your whole vacation here: there's plenty to do and see, and lots of ways to save euros.
If you've never been to these museums, you're missing out. From ancient books in Ireland to modern architecture in Spain, here are Europe's essential museums.
Spain is a difficult country to see in just one trip. For this itinerary (download the pdf) from Spain 2008, we focus on the Madrid and Andalusia.... If you want to see Andalusia, Madrid should be your airport of choice. Barcelona, Spain's other main starting point, is really too far away to include in anything less than a two week vacation. You'll be relying mostly on the high-speed rail connection, the AVE, which can get you from Madrid to Córdoba in under three hours and passes through the exceptionally pretty Castilian countryside, filled with olive groves and rolling fields. Consider renting a car for your exploration of Seville and Granada.... The best months to go to Andalusia are the shoulder months of October and November, and April and May. You'll be able to see the cities going about their normal business, but with moderate temperatures and fewer crowds....
Days 1–3: Welcome to MadridThe elegant Plaza Mayor (photo, right) is the perfect jumping-off point for a tour of the...
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 4 Great Places to Stay Near Yellowstone National Park
- The 7 Best Family Beaches in the East
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- Fodor's Go List 2015
- 10 Products and Services Every Super Traveler Needs
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- A Fool-Proof Amalfi Coast Itinerary
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in Paris
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- 10 Luxurious Log Cabins Across the U.S.
- 10 Best Outdoor Music Venues in the U.S.
- $399 & up -- Jamaica: Seven Mile Beach Resort w/AirfareCheapCaribbean.com
- $819 & up -- Ends Monday: All-Incl. Beach Vacations on SaleCheapCaribbean.com
- $1399 & up -- Luxe Ireland: 5-Star Vacation w/Car & AirAer Lingus Vacations
- $109 -- Hawaii: Waikiki Hotel near Beach, Save 25%Sheraton Princess Kaiulani
- $3999 -- Japan 10-Night Small Group Escorted Tour w/AirGate 1 Travel
- $80 & up -- Houston Hotel Sale incl. Westins, 60% OffStarwood Hotels & Resorts