News Stories Tagged Local Specialties
From a hidden drum circle in Washington DC to awesome sushi in Chicago's Ukrainian neighborhood, we've uncovered the inside track on where the locals go in five major cities across the country.
There's no better way to dive head first into a new culture than by dining like and among the locals. So this new-ish trend of locals inviting travelers in for home-cooked meals is right up our alley.
Almost every destination has a local specialty to try. And while you might think in Montana it would be the ubiquitous huckleberry, we say the savvier stop is along Route 93 for delectable local cherries.
Trinidad capital Port of Spain offers two distinct dining scenes showcasing the island’s multifaceted cuisine. Look to Ariapita Avenue for its cluster of hip, multiethnic restaurants doling out both modern and traditional Trini dishes. Or, try the Savannah Strip for Trinidad’s best street food vendors, who essentially stuff all that fantastic island flavor into neat wraps, served up with a smile.
New Orleans is known for lots of local flavor, from pralines and po' boys to beignets and chicory coffee. But for a true taste of Mardi Gras, you can't beat a King Cake. If you aren't traveling to New Orleans soon, you can even order one today to have the celebration come to you before Fat Tuesday on March 8th.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 11 Cyber Monday Travel Deals at Beach Hotels
- Ultimate Safari Planner
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- World's 10 Coolest Ice Hotels
- Venice's Ban on Cruise Ships: What it Means for You
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- Where to Eat in San Antonio, Texas
- 10 Best US Ski Resorts for Families
- 8 Reasons to Visit Philadelphia for the Holidays
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1198-$1278* -- New Zealand Fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand
- $1645 -- UAE: Dubai & Abu Dhabi 6-Night Vacation, $550 OffGoway Travel with Definitely Dubai & Abu Dhabi Tourism
- $229 & up -- Caribbean 7-Night Cruise; Kids Sail FreeNorwegian Cruise Line
- $1739 -- Spring Sale: 7-Night Holland & Belgium River CruiseAvalon Waterways