News Stories Tagged Local Specialties
From a hidden drum circle in Washington DC to awesome sushi in Chicago's Ukrainian neighborhood, we've uncovered the inside track on where the locals go in five major cities across the country.
There's no better way to dive head first into a new culture than by dining like and among the locals. So this new-ish trend of locals inviting travelers in for home-cooked meals is right up our alley.
Almost every destination has a local specialty to try. And while you might think in Montana it would be the ubiquitous huckleberry, we say the savvier stop is along Route 93 for delectable local cherries.
Trinidad capital Port of Spain offers two distinct dining scenes showcasing the island’s multifaceted cuisine. Look to Ariapita Avenue for its cluster of hip, multiethnic restaurants doling out both modern and traditional Trini dishes. Or, try the Savannah Strip for Trinidad’s best street food vendors, who essentially stuff all that fantastic island flavor into neat wraps, served up with a smile.
New Orleans is known for lots of local flavor, from pralines and po' boys to beignets and chicory coffee. But for a true taste of Mardi Gras, you can't beat a King Cake. If you aren't traveling to New Orleans soon, you can even order one today to have the celebration come to you before Fat Tuesday on March 8th.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina, Right Now
- Ultimate Walt Disney World 2014 Planner
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- America's 10 Best Spots for Seeing Wildflowers
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- 15 Most Breathtaking World Heritage Sites
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $69* -- San Jose to Portland this Spring, One WayAlaska Airlines
- $149-$169 -- Colorado: Aspen 4-Star Hotel, Reg. $419Westin Snowmass Resort
- $707 & up -- Panama Canal & Beach 6-Nt. w/Air & HotelsTripMasters.com
- $1235 & up -- Paris & Rome 6-Nt. Vacation w/Air & HotelsEuropeanDestinations.com
- $55 & up -- SoCal: Santa Clarita Hotel Deals up to 50% OffVisit Santa Clarita
- $75 & up -- Ocean View Room at Myrtle Beach Resort, 30% OffThe Caribbean Resort & Villas