News Stories Tagged Literary
The Isle of Jersey today is a tax haven and vacation spot. But in Victor Hugo's day, it was a mystical island and was his home after political exile from France. Author M.J. Rose returned to Hugo's Jersey to research her latest novel. Here she unearths her best finds.
If you're getting ready for a long-awaited, sun-drenched trip to Morocco (or if you're simply dreaming of a far-off land) you'll want to pick up one of these illuminating reads before you go.
Whether you're a veteran Rome traveler or a first-timer, we highly recommend taking time to soak up the local culture. Break away from the tour guides and check out some of these overlooked spots.
In the fall of 1888, Nellie Bly (a young, undercover reporter) pitched a story to her editor—that she would try to go around the world in eighty days or less. Matthew Goodman, author of the new book Eighty Days, touches on how she did it and, more importantly, what she packed.
Setting off on safari means prepping for adventure, beauty, and the unexpected. Pick a read that fits your trip, from the history of the African continent to fictional stories of love and intrigue.
Don't be stuck combing the bookshelves at the airport snack stand—pack any of the new reads on our list and you'll be racing to turn the last page before your cross-country flight lands.
Beach vacations call for beach reads, from a Hemingway classic to Monique Roffey's Trinidad-set love story. Pick up one of these island page-turners before you leave for your Caribbean getaway.
History makes an ideal travel companion, particularly when its the history of an iconic and colorful character like David Crockett. Author Bob Thompson, of this month's Born on a Mountaintop takes us on the ultimate Crockett road trip.
Jane Austen aficionados know that this week is the 200th anniversary of Pride and Prejudice. To honor it, we've drawn up an Austen-inspired itinerary (i.e. another excuse to hit the English countryside).
Jacob Tomsky, author of "Heads in Beds," has more than a decade's worth of experience in hospitality, and the stories to prove it. Here he gives us some new golden guest rules. Plus, enter to win a copy of his book!
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Where to Go This Summer
- 4 Great Places to Stay Near Yellowstone National Park
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- The Beginner's Guide to Glamping
- Bangkok 101: What (and Where) to Eat
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- Summer 2013 Guide to New York City
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3152 & up -- Italy Luxury Trip w/Air & Rail between CitiesSceptre Tours
- $92 -- Cabo: All-Inclusive Beachfront Resort, Save 50%Hotel Riu Sante Fe
- $150 & Up -- Old Montreal 4-Diamond Hotel, 40% OffLe Westin Montreal
- $2999 & up -- Sydney & New Zealand 12-Nt Escape w/ToursDown Under Answers