News Stories Tagged Holland
The Dutch are especially fond of their pils, a light golden lager usually served with a large head. Locals claim that it tastes better if sipped through the foam, so asking for a top-up may offend.
The streets are jammed with noisy groups of young men who don’t pose a serious criminal threat but who can behave obnoxiously (hence the outdoor lavatories and signs forbidding urination in the nearby canal).
You don’t want to have come all this way to see a Vermeer or van Gogh and not be able to get close enough because of all the tourists and schoolchildren.
The Dutch are especially fond of their pils, a light golden lager usually served with a large head. Locals claim that it tastes better if sipped through the foam, so asking for a top-up may offend. There are stronger beers, usually referred to as bokbier—typically seasonal, they’re made with warming spices in the winter. In summer, witte bier (white beer) is a refreshing drink, a zesty brew served cool with a twist of lemon. There’s almost nothing better than a beer and sandwich taken at a canal-side café.
This multi-ingredient dish with rice, vegetables or meat, and sweet and spicy condiments is a tasty legacy of Dutch colonialism.
In April and May, the blooming buds at the following flower havens draw serious crowds of both avowed horticulturists and visitors who simply wish to celebrate spring. Follow your nose to these favorites around the world: The Tidal Basin Washington D.C. The white-and-pink blossoms lining the Tidal Basin are the centerpiece of Washington's two-week Cherry Blossom Festival, held each spring since 1935. This year's festivities kick off on March 29 with the lighting of a ceremonial Japanese lantern that rests on the north shore of the Tidal Basin, not far from where the first tree, one of 3,000 given by Japan, was planted in 1912. The once-simple celebration has grown over the years to include concerts, martial-arts demonstrations, and a parade. Perfect Pairing: If you've worked up an appetite at the Tidal Basin, head four blocks down Maine Avenue. Restaurants stretch along the avenue, including local seafood powerhouse Phillips Flagship. All have terraces overlooking the Washington Channel
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- Where to Eat in San Francisco Now
- 5 Perfect Dublin Itineraries
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- Where to Drink in Chicago Now
- 10 Top Bakeries Across the US
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $1487* & up -- Australia Fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxVirgin Australia
- $549 & up --Ends 4/18: Bahamas 7-Night Cruises w/CreditNorwegian Cruise Line
- $299 -- Maui: Oceanfront 4-Star Resort, Save 20%The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, Ka'anapali
- $769 & up -- 4-Night Riviera Maya Escape w/Air, $200 OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $125 & up -- 4-Star Houston Hotel at the Galleria, Save 55%The Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria
- $1793 & up -- Bangkok, Chiang Mai & Phuket 9-Nt. Trip w/AirTripMasters.com