News Stories Tagged Holland
The Dutch are especially fond of their pils, a light golden lager usually served with a large head. Locals claim that it tastes better if sipped through the foam, so asking for a top-up may offend.
The streets are jammed with noisy groups of young men who don’t pose a serious criminal threat but who can behave obnoxiously (hence the outdoor lavatories and signs forbidding urination in the nearby canal).
You don’t want to have come all this way to see a Vermeer or van Gogh and not be able to get close enough because of all the tourists and schoolchildren.
The Dutch are especially fond of their pils, a light golden lager usually served with a large head. Locals claim that it tastes better if sipped through the foam, so asking for a top-up may offend. There are stronger beers, usually referred to as bokbier—typically seasonal, they’re made with warming spices in the winter. In summer, witte bier (white beer) is a refreshing drink, a zesty brew served cool with a twist of lemon. There’s almost nothing better than a beer and sandwich taken at a canal-side café.
This multi-ingredient dish with rice, vegetables or meat, and sweet and spicy condiments is a tasty legacy of Dutch colonialism.
In April and May, the blooming buds at the following flower havens draw serious crowds of both avowed horticulturists and visitors who simply wish to celebrate spring. Follow your nose to these favorites around the world: The Tidal Basin Washington D.C. The white-and-pink blossoms lining the Tidal Basin are the centerpiece of Washington's two-week Cherry Blossom Festival, held each spring since 1935. This year's festivities kick off on March 29 with the lighting of a ceremonial Japanese lantern that rests on the north shore of the Tidal Basin, not far from where the first tree, one of 3,000 given by Japan, was planted in 1912. The once-simple celebration has grown over the years to include concerts, martial-arts demonstrations, and a parade. Perfect Pairing: If you've worked up an appetite at the Tidal Basin, head four blocks down Maine Avenue. Restaurants stretch along the avenue, including local seafood powerhouse Phillips Flagship. All have terraces overlooking the Washington Channel
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Last-Minute Memorial Day Deals
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- 4 Perfect Southern Summer Itineraries
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Airline Uniforms Get a Fashion Update
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
- Tips from the Jet Set: How to Do Paris Right
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $2345 & up -- Tahiti: Exotic Weeklong Vacations w/AirPleasant Holidays
- $109 & up -- Oceanview Room at Myrtle Beach Resort, 25% OffCompass Cove Oceanfront Resort
- $1973 & up -- Galapagos Islands Escape w/Tours & BreakfastLatinEscapes
- $36 & up -- Japan Vacation Deals; Save up to $600Featured Destination: Japan
- $97 & up -- Beachfront Myrtle Beach Family Resort w/BowlingCaptain's Quarters Family & Golf Resort
- $895* & up - London Nonstop Fares in Fall, R/TBritish Airways