News Stories Tagged History
Author Wes Davis, a former excavations assistant at Kavousi in Eastern Crete, recounts his archaeological adventures on the storied Greek island, from his first visit 25 years ago through to today.
Carmelo offers golden riverfront beaches, rich cultural offerings, an up-and-coming wine region, and more. Here are five reasons why you should check out this laid-back Uruguayan gem, before the secret is out.
You might think that most historically significant events are well-marked at landmarks we're all familiar with. But, as author Andrew Carroll discovered, some major events in our country's history happened at places that have long been forgotten.
Next month marks the sesquicentennial (say that 3 times fast) anniversary of the Civil War battle at Gettysburg. To celebrate, here's a guide to the key sights on the field and in town.
"Crabcakes and football—it's what Maryland does!" Wedding Crashers is right, but there's even more to Maryland and this summer is the perfect time to explore it all.
Whether you're a veteran Rome traveler or a first-timer, we highly recommend taking time to soak up the local culture. Break away from the tour guides and check out some of these overlooked spots.
If you're looking for a reason to head south, make a point to visit these hidden (and not-so-hidden) gems in Mexico City.
Both Lincoln (Abe) and Lincoln (Daniel Day Lewis' movie) had Richmond as a stomping ground, albeit in different centuries. The historic city should be your next weekend away...here's why.
Thomas Jefferson's Monticello is an iconic American house with an incredibly rich history. And Jon Meacham, author of Thomas Jefferson out this month, thinks there are at least 7 great reasons to go...now.
You got a costume, stocked up on candy corn, and put fake cobwebs everywhere, but something (someone?) is missing. It's probably ghosts! Hunt them down at these fun, spooky, historic hotels.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- 10 Best National Parks to Visit This Winter
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guides
- 10 Cheeses Worth Traveling For
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Under $100
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- 11 Cyber Monday Travel Deals at Beach Hotels
- World's 10 Best Ski Towns for Foodies
- Top 15 Warm-Weather Resorts for Families
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Kids
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $525 -- Luxe Rio de Janeiro Resort over New Year's EveSheraton Rio Hotel & Resort
- $699 & up -- Cancun All-Inclusive Beach Escape w/AirApple Vacations
- $949 & up -- Caribbean: 7-Nt. Cruise on World's Largest ShipRoyal Caribbean
- $599 & up -- Weeklong Southern Caribbean CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $869 & up -- Westin Maui 3-Nt. Vacation w/AirPleasant Holidays