News Stories Tagged Halifax
Embark on Queen Mary 2's transatlantic crossing next summer to celebrate the ship's 10th anniversary, and enjoy the company of fellow guest and performer, legendary singer-songwriter James Taylor.
Nova Scotia ticks all necessary boxes for a truly unspoiled seaside escape—endless lobster traps, vineyards, cultural excursions, and a New England-style charm, all with way fewer tourists.
Nova Scotia’s capital is a hip, harbor-hugging city and its 400,000 citizens know how to have some serious fun. But Halifax has a past that's been touched by tragedy, too: Most famously so in April 1912, when the RMS Titanic went down in the North Atlantic Ocean. Being the closest major port to the site of the capsized ship, Halifax became the base for recovery operations, and international attention focused on the city as wreckage and remains filtered through. In this centennial year, the spotlight is being switched on again in Halifax as Titanic aficionados—from near, far, from wherever they are—flock in. Here’s the how-to for a perfect (and poignant) weekend escape.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $1129 & up -- 5-Nt. All-Incl. Costa Rica Beach Getaway w/AirCheapCaribbean.com
- $559 & up -- Jamaica: All-Inclusive Getaway w/Air, Half OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $89-$99 -- NOLA: 4-Star French Quarter Hotel, 65% OffBookIt.com
- $1561* & up -- Fly to Australia from the West Coast, R/TAir New Zealand
- $3895 & up -- Luxe 10-Nt. Bora Bora & Moorea Trip w/AirTahiti.com
- $2310 & up -- French Riviera 5-Nt. Vacation w/Air & CarGreat Value Vacations