News Stories Tagged Costa Concordia
The cruise industry has once again found itself in hot water. In a nightmare for the passengers onboard and cruise PR agencies alike, another of Costa Cruises' ships is making headlines today, following an engine room fire that has left its Costa Allegra vessel without power. While initial reports have indicated that there are no injuries or fatalities amongst the more than 1,000 passengers and crew aboard, the immobilized ship is currently sailing adrift in the dark night in the Indian Ocean, some 200 miles southwest of the Seychelles.
In the wake of the Costa Concordia shipwreck, cruise bookings are down. The silver lining is that cruise lines are now offering record deals for travelers. But book quickly: these deals expire soon!
Costa Cruises will offer compensation packages to uninjured guests of the ill-fated Costa Concordia voyage, which capsized off the coast of Italy two weeks ago today.
While cruisers continue to ponder their return to the high seas following the Costa Concordia tragedy, it's clear that the disaster will impact the near future of cruising in two ways: how the standards for cruise ship safety will be set, and whether passenger bookings and cruise line profitability will plummet.
While there are concerns about safety—and how it can be improved moving forward—the news hasn't seemed to impact Fodorites' plans for cruise vacations.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 11 Cyber Monday Travel Deals at Beach Hotels
- Ultimate Safari Planner
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- 10 Cheeses Worth Traveling For
- Venice's Ban on Cruise Ships: What it Means for You
- World's 10 Coolest Ice Hotels
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- America's Best Wine Bars
- 10 Best US Ski Resorts for Families
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1198-$1278* -- New Zealand Fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand
- $1645 -- UAE: Dubai & Abu Dhabi 6-Night Vacation, $550 OffGoway Travel with Definitely Dubai & Abu Dhabi Tourism
- $229 & up -- Caribbean 7-Night Cruise; Kids Sail FreeNorwegian Cruise Line
- $1739 -- Spring Sale: 7-Night Holland & Belgium River CruiseAvalon Waterways