News Stories Tagged Costa Concordia
The cruise industry has once again found itself in hot water. In a nightmare for the passengers onboard and cruise PR agencies alike, another of Costa Cruises' ships is making headlines today, following an engine room fire that has left its Costa Allegra vessel without power. While initial reports have indicated that there are no injuries or fatalities amongst the more than 1,000 passengers and crew aboard, the immobilized ship is currently sailing adrift in the dark night in the Indian Ocean, some 200 miles southwest of the Seychelles.
In the wake of the Costa Concordia shipwreck, cruise bookings are down. The silver lining is that cruise lines are now offering record deals for travelers. But book quickly: these deals expire soon!
Costa Cruises will offer compensation packages to uninjured guests of the ill-fated Costa Concordia voyage, which capsized off the coast of Italy two weeks ago today.
While cruisers continue to ponder their return to the high seas following the Costa Concordia tragedy, it's clear that the disaster will impact the near future of cruising in two ways: how the standards for cruise ship safety will be set, and whether passenger bookings and cruise line profitability will plummet.
While there are concerns about safety—and how it can be improved moving forward—the news hasn't seemed to impact Fodorites' plans for cruise vacations.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- Ultimate Walt Disney World 2014 Planner
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- 15 Legendary Hotels Around the World
- America's 10 Best Spots for Seeing Wildflowers
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $599 & up -- Cabo 4-Nt. All-Inclusive Escape w/Air, Half OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $999 & up -- 5-Night Vacation to Turks & Caicos, $400 OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $1999 -- Spain: 6-Nt. Vacation w/Tours & Air, $300 OffFriendly Planet Travel
- $599 & up -- All-Incl. Puerto Plata Escape w/Air, Half OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $110 & up -- Boston Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $1159 & up -- Balcony on Weeklong Fjords of Norway CruiseRoyal Caribbean