News Stories Tagged Amalfi Coast
It's easy to say that going to a hot destination in the off season will save you money, but the question remains—will it be as fun as the high season? In short... Yes. Here's how.
What could be dreamier than a summer holiday on Italy's Amafli Coast? Daytime strolls through town, sunset cocktails in Positano...Pack these chic picks and you'll fit right in.
Some say that paradise is subjective. We suspect they haven't been to the new Monastero Santa Rosa, perched above the Amalfi Coast. After an 11-year/$60 million renovation, paradise is open.
Few countries can offer what Italy can in the way of local culinary specialties, art, and architecture, Oh, and throngs of tourists. Skip the beaten paths, and hit these worthy alternatives instead.
Starting with authentic pizza in Naples before retreating to an idyllic seaside town with sweeping views of the Mediterranean, you'll want to commit this itinerary to memory before your next trip to Italy.
Save money on your next trip to the Amalfi Coast (and elsewhere in Italy) with this tips from the travelers in our Forums.
UPDATE: JULY 2012 Looking for answers to some of the most common questions about visiting Italy? Check out the Most Common Questions When Planning a Trip to Italy for 2012. Nailing down the fine details of a trip can be a breeze if you have a few experts at hand. Fortunately, our Europe Forum is teeming with travelers who have recently been to Italy's many popular destinations, including Rome, Florence, Venice, and the Amalfi Coast. Expertise is always being solicited and shared. Upon their return, many members often write reports highlighting their trips' biggest successes-- and words of thanks to fellow members whose advice proved so helpful. Below are just a few typical questions from members in the middle of planning their trip to Italy. We encourage you to add your own advice! Have a question about your upcoming trip to Italy? Post it in the Europe forum. What are my car rental options? "Thank you so much for the suggestion to rent a car through Hertz Italy. We went to that website
The Amalfi Coast, a 43-mile stretch just around the bend from Naples, is on many traveler "to-do" lists. Despite overcrowding at the peak of summer, visitors come for the promise of relaxation, fine dining, plush inns, and vistas made famous by Hollywood. Escaping the crowds and finding your piece of paradise isn't impossible---it just takes a little bit of planning. When to Go The Amalfi Coast is not at its best in summer, when coastal towns swell with vacationers and the heat is often sweltering. Optimum times are May-June and September-October. Visiting in winter is an appealing option---the temperature remains comfortable, rain is relatively rare, and hotel rates are at their lowest. However, be aware that some hotels and restaurants will not be open---always call ahead or check hotel web sites (if available). Getting Around Planes, trains, and automobiles, ferries, hydrofoils, and buses. On the Amalfi Coast the options are endless---we've tried to take out the guesswork with our town-specific
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guides
- 11 Cyber Monday Travel Deals at Beach Hotels
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- 10 Best National Parks to Visit This Winter
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Under $100
- 10 Cheeses Worth Traveling For
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Kids
- Top 15 Warm-Weather Resorts for Families
- Ultimate Safari Planner
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $525 -- Luxe Rio de Janeiro Resort over New Year's EveSheraton Rio Hotel & Resort
- $699 & up -- Cancun All-Inclusive Beach Escape w/AirApple Vacations
- $949 & up -- Caribbean: 7-Nt. Cruise on World's Largest ShipRoyal Caribbean
- $599 & up -- Weeklong Southern Caribbean CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $869 & up -- Westin Maui 3-Nt. Vacation w/AirPleasant Holidays