Super Bowl to Get Floating Bud Light-Themed Hotel
This winter will bring many "firsts" for the NFL and Super Bowl. The biggest change is the location of this annual mega-sporting event, which will be held at MetLife Stadium in New Jersey's Meadowlands. And while Budweiser conjures up a special Bud Light-themed hotel in every Super Bowl city, transforming a cruise ship into a floating hotel for the event is definitely a new spin on things.
Bud Light has chartered Norwegian Cruise Line's brand-new, 18-deck Norwegian Getaway and will dock her at New York's Pier 88 from January 30 through February 2, 2014. Decorators will transform the ship into the Bud Light Hotel by way of signage, specially designed pillows and hand towels, branded key cards, and more.
Bud Light will invite 4,028 guests to stay onboard during Super Bowl weekend. And, believe it or not, the 146,600-ton cruise ship, with its 22 bars and 27 dining venues, just isn't big enough for all the parties and concerts Bud Light has planned. That's why they're also taking over the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum complex next door for a total of 300,000 square feet of event space between the floating hotel and museum.
Yes, it will be mid-winter in frigid New York City, but Bud Light's solved that problem, too. Team event planners are constructing heated venues for the scheduled weekend activities that will include Madden Bowl XX (an annual video game tournament) and concerts sponsored by Pandora and Pepsi (concert headliners will be announced soon).
If you want a chance to visit the Bud Light Hotel during Super Bowl XLVIII, watch for contests sponsored by the beer company; all other berths are reserved for Bud Light partners and VIP guests. If you don't get to stay at the Bud Light Hotel, consider sailing aboard the new Norwegian Getaway this winter from Miami, where she'll offer seven-night voyages to the Eastern Caribbean.
Andrea M. Rotondo is a freelance writer based in New York City. She covers cruise news and luxury travel trends for Fodors.com and writes for a variety of outlets, including her website Luxury Travel Mavens. Follow her on Twitter: @luxtravelmavens.
Photo credit: Courtesy of Norwegian Cruise Line
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 US Islands Where You Can Beat the Winter Blues
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- 10 Great Spots in Paris with a Literary History
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- Where to Eat at This Year's SXSW Festival
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $379 & up -- Exotic Canary Islands & Morocco Cruise w/ExtrasNorwegian Cruise Line
- $129 & up -- Washington, D.C., Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $99 & up -- Austin Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $118 & up -- Philadelphia Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $1249 & up -- Big Island & Maui 6-Nt. Package w/Air & HotelsTripMasters.com
- $51 & up -- Myrtle Beach Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago