Super Bowl to Get Floating Bud Light-Themed Hotel
This winter will bring many "firsts" for the NFL and Super Bowl. The biggest change is the location of this annual mega-sporting event, which will be held at MetLife Stadium in New Jersey's Meadowlands. And while Budweiser conjures up a special Bud Light-themed hotel in every Super Bowl city, transforming a cruise ship into a floating hotel for the event is definitely a new spin on things.
Bud Light has chartered Norwegian Cruise Line's brand-new, 18-deck Norwegian Getaway and will dock her at New York's Pier 88 from January 30 through February 2, 2014. Decorators will transform the ship into the Bud Light Hotel by way of signage, specially designed pillows and hand towels, branded key cards, and more.
Bud Light will invite 4,028 guests to stay onboard during Super Bowl weekend. And, believe it or not, the 146,600-ton cruise ship, with its 22 bars and 27 dining venues, just isn't big enough for all the parties and concerts Bud Light has planned. That's why they're also taking over the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum complex next door for a total of 300,000 square feet of event space between the floating hotel and museum.
Yes, it will be mid-winter in frigid New York City, but Bud Light's solved that problem, too. Team event planners are constructing heated venues for the scheduled weekend activities that will include Madden Bowl XX (an annual video game tournament) and concerts sponsored by Pandora and Pepsi (concert headliners will be announced soon).
If you want a chance to visit the Bud Light Hotel during Super Bowl XLVIII, watch for contests sponsored by the beer company; all other berths are reserved for Bud Light partners and VIP guests. If you don't get to stay at the Bud Light Hotel, consider sailing aboard the new Norwegian Getaway this winter from Miami, where she'll offer seven-night voyages to the Eastern Caribbean.
Andrea M. Rotondo is a freelance writer based in New York City. She covers cruise news and luxury travel trends for Fodors.com and writes for a variety of outlets, including her website Luxury Travel Mavens. Follow her on Twitter: @luxtravelmavens.
Photo credit: Courtesy of Norwegian Cruise Line
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Stunning Hotels in Unexpected Places
- 10 Restaurants Worth a Day Trip in Europe
- How to Pack Light for a Trip
- 15 Best Beer Gardens in the U.S.
- World's Most Luxurious Wine Country Hotels
- Best Credit Cards for Travelers
- 20 Best Day Trips in the U.S.
- 10 Last-Minute Beach Getaways for Summer
- How to Cure Jet Lag
- 10 Natural and Organic Beauty Products Worth Packing
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $179 & up -- Boston 4-Star Hotel near Newbury St., 45% OffSheraton Boston
- $221 & up -- Maine: 4-Star Portland Waterfront HotelThe Westin Portland Harborview
- $270 -- Waikiki 4-Star Oceanfront Resort, Save 30%Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, Waikiki Beach
- $139 & up -- 4-Star Ft. Lauderdale Resort & Spa, Save 60%The Westin Beach Resort & Spa, Fort Lauderdale
- $169 -- Downtown Dallas 4-Star Hotel, Save 25%Sheraton Dallas Hotel
- $799 & up -- Waikiki 5-Nt. Vacations w/Air & Car, Save $250Pleasant Holidays