Super Bowl to Get Floating Bud Light-Themed Hotel
This winter will bring many "firsts" for the NFL and Super Bowl. The biggest change is the location of this annual mega-sporting event, which will be held at MetLife Stadium in New Jersey's Meadowlands. And while Budweiser conjures up a special Bud Light-themed hotel in every Super Bowl city, transforming a cruise ship into a floating hotel for the event is definitely a new spin on things.
Bud Light has chartered Norwegian Cruise Line's brand-new, 18-deck Norwegian Getaway and will dock her at New York's Pier 88 from January 30 through February 2, 2014. Decorators will transform the ship into the Bud Light Hotel by way of signage, specially designed pillows and hand towels, branded key cards, and more.
Bud Light will invite 4,028 guests to stay onboard during Super Bowl weekend. And, believe it or not, the 146,600-ton cruise ship, with its 22 bars and 27 dining venues, just isn't big enough for all the parties and concerts Bud Light has planned. That's why they're also taking over the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum complex next door for a total of 300,000 square feet of event space between the floating hotel and museum.
Yes, it will be mid-winter in frigid New York City, but Bud Light's solved that problem, too. Team event planners are constructing heated venues for the scheduled weekend activities that will include Madden Bowl XX (an annual video game tournament) and concerts sponsored by Pandora and Pepsi (concert headliners will be announced soon).
If you want a chance to visit the Bud Light Hotel during Super Bowl XLVIII, watch for contests sponsored by the beer company; all other berths are reserved for Bud Light partners and VIP guests. If you don't get to stay at the Bud Light Hotel, consider sailing aboard the new Norwegian Getaway this winter from Miami, where she'll offer seven-night voyages to the Eastern Caribbean.
Andrea M. Rotondo is a freelance writer based in New York City. She covers cruise news and luxury travel trends for Fodors.com and writes for a variety of outlets, including her website Luxury Travel Mavens. Follow her on Twitter: @luxtravelmavens.
Photo credit: Courtesy of Norwegian Cruise Line
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- A Fool-Proof Amalfi Coast Itinerary
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- 15 Things Not to Do in Paris
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- 5 Reasons to Visit El Salvador
- Top 20 Free Things to Do in Paris
- World's Craziest Bar Concepts
- $84 & up -- Maryland: Rockville Top-Rated Hotel, 30% OffEVEN Hotel Rockville
- $143 & up -- 4-Star Downtown Indianapolis Hotel, 35% OffThe Westin Indianapolis
- $109 & up -- NYC Hotel Sale into Spring, up to 30% OffInterContinental Hotels Group
- $249-$269 -- New 4-Star Punta Cana 'Westin' Resort, Save 25%Westin Puntacana Resort & Club
- $161 & up -- Boston: 4-Star Waterfront Hotel, 30% OffThe Westin Boston Waterfront
- $259 & up -- Atlantis Summer Sale w/$200 in Credit, 50% OffAtlantis, Paradise Island, Bahamas