Lea Lane's Top Ten Picks for Solo Travelers
Canada Top budget pick If you like Maine and bargains, you'll love the Canadian province of New Brunswick, just to the north. I enjoyed sweet scallops and even sweeter strawberries, and experienced the highest tides in the world in the Bay of Fundy. I find Canadians extremely kind and helpful. And when you're soloing, it's especially nice to be traveling in a foreign country where you can speak the language.
Thailand Top budget pick Never colonized, Thailand has unusual rituals that date to the 13th century. The country remains exotic and inexpensive. Bargain at the vast Weekend Market for handicrafts and silk fabric. Some of the world's greatest hotels are in busy Bangkok and fine rooms can be under $100.
Grand Canyon Top solo experience pick The national parks are crowded, but you don't need company to enjoy any of it. In fact, viewing the Grand Canyon once with others and once alone, there was no comparison. Solo was better!
Canyon Ranch Top spa pick Relentless pampering can be jarring if you're unaccustomed to either the indulgence or the price tag, but if you're looking for a solo experience that places you at the center of the universe, this spa is exceptional.
Cliffside Inn Top lodging pick Beds-and-breakfasts are right-on for solo travelers. Among the standard amenities are a private room (and, often, a private bath), full breakfasts at communal tables, drinks in the parlor, the opportunity to trade information and travel stories, a friendly house cat or dog to pet, and pastry and coffee anytime. What makes or breaks the experience, usually, are the owners. You never know when you'll come upon a Basil Fawlty or some other similarly memorable character, and traveling solo, you'll often connect.
New York Favorite solo city/domestic What can anyone say about The Big Juicy Apple that hasn't been said? You'll be among many other soloists when you're on your own, and restaurants, attractions and hotels will cater to you comfortably. Soloing here is no biggie, and you can be stimulated and busy 24/7. Concerts, theater and museums are great places to spend time alone.
London Favorite solo city/ foreign Language will be (almost) no barrier, and same as in NYC, you'll find loads of fellow soloists. Take day trips to see the Cotswalds, Oxford or Cambridge. Try walking tours, a great way to meet others. Pubs are fun, and you can always join in a game there.
Peter Deilmann Cruises. Top river cruise line. On the rivers of Europe or on the high seas around Asia, this popular European company offers comfortably elegant accomodations, great food, a relaxing pace, and a sophisticated clientele, agreeable to soloists.
Windstar. Top small cruise line. Cruising under five sails, or motorized, you'll find fewer than 300 other cruisers, which makes for a nice group for soloists. Itineraries include the Mediterranean, The Greek Isles, Tahiti and the Caribbean. Food is excellent, and vessels are sleek and elegant.
From Lea Lane's Solo Traveler: Tales and Tips for Great Trips.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- Where to Eat in San Francisco Now
- 5 Perfect Dublin Itineraries
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- 10 Top Bakeries Across the US
- Where to Drink in Chicago Now
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $7499 -- Luxe Cruise to Spain, Italy, Greece w/Air & DrinksRegent Seven Seas Cruises
- $56 & up -- Oceanfront room at Myrtle Beach Resort, 30% OffSea Watch Resort
- $15 & up -- Nationwide Car Rentals in Spring, 65% OffHertz
- $119-$159 -- Tucson AAA 4-Diamond Resort, Save 45%The Westin La Paloma Resort & Spa
- $149-$169 -- 4-Star Lake Las Vegas Resort, Save 25%Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa
- $2649 & up -- Panama Canal 13-Day Cruise w/Balcony CabinCarnival Cruise Lines