Rise in Tourism Expected in Egypt
Earlier this week, Egyptian Tourism Minister Mounir Fakhry Abdel Nour made a bold prediction for the country's beleaguered tourism industry, reports Reuters. The minister stated at a press conference that he expected over 12 million tourists by the end of the year, which would make for a 23 percent increase over last year.
The minister quoted the number of tourists to Egypt in the first six months of this year at over five million, a 27 percent increase over the same time period in 2011.
Though there has been worried speculation that the country's newly elected Islamist President Mohamed Mursi could establish policies or strict rules on visitors that could harm the tourism sector, the minister indicated that he did not believe any elected official would pass policy that could harm such a critical part of Egypt's economy.
"No political force, political party, president, or government working in a democratic, responsible framework, and therefore accountable to public opinion ... could follow policies that harm tourism in Egypt," he said.
Tourism in Egypt provides jobs for four million people with an additional 14 million affected indirectly by the industry, the minister stated, adding that by 2017 revenues from tourism could reach $25 billion.
Photo credit: Pyramids in Egypt via Shutterstock
You May Also Like
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
In my mind, Egypt is a mysterious country. I hope one day I can go there to experience the mystery of Pyramid.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Last-Minute Memorial Day Deals
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- 4 Perfect Southern Summer Itineraries
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Airline Uniforms Get a Fashion Update
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
- Tips from the Jet Set: How to Do Paris Right
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $175* & up -- Coast-to-Coast Fall Fare Sale, One WayVirgin America
- $2900 & up -- South America 14-Day, 5-City Trip w/7 ToursLatinEscapes
- $569 & up -- All-Incl. Dominican Republic Trip, 4-Nts. w/AirCheapCaribbean.com
- $519 & up -- 7-Night Caribbean Cruise, R/T New OrleansAmerican Express Travel
- $175 & up -- Downtown Seattle 4-Star Hotel, 40% OffThe Westin Seattle
- $899* & up -- Germany Summer & Fall Sale Fares, R/TLufthansa