Rise in Tourism Expected in Egypt
Earlier this week, Egyptian Tourism Minister Mounir Fakhry Abdel Nour made a bold prediction for the country's beleaguered tourism industry, reports Reuters. The minister stated at a press conference that he expected over 12 million tourists by the end of the year, which would make for a 23 percent increase over last year.
The minister quoted the number of tourists to Egypt in the first six months of this year at over five million, a 27 percent increase over the same time period in 2011.
Though there has been worried speculation that the country's newly elected Islamist President Mohamed Mursi could establish policies or strict rules on visitors that could harm the tourism sector, the minister indicated that he did not believe any elected official would pass policy that could harm such a critical part of Egypt's economy.
"No political force, political party, president, or government working in a democratic, responsible framework, and therefore accountable to public opinion ... could follow policies that harm tourism in Egypt," he said.
Tourism in Egypt provides jobs for four million people with an additional 14 million affected indirectly by the industry, the minister stated, adding that by 2017 revenues from tourism could reach $25 billion.
Photo credit: Pyramids in Egypt via Shutterstock
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
In my mind, Egypt is a mysterious country. I hope one day I can go there to experience the mystery of Pyramid.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Top Bakeries Across the US
- World's 10 Best Trips for Wine Lovers
- 20 Gorgeous Seaside Towns in Italy
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- Romantic Getaway: Long Weekend in San Juan
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 5 Best Perks of Flying in Premium Economy
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $606* & up -- Fly to Peru from Across the US (R/T incl. Tax)LAN
- $170 & up -- Downtown LA Hotel incl. Weekends, 40% OffSheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel
- $949 & up -- 8-Nt. Cruise incl. Aruba, Curacao & Grand TurkCarnival Cruise Lines
- $708 & up -- Costa Rica Volcano & Beach 5-Nts. w/Air & CarTripMasters.com
- $424 -- Celebrity Cruise w/Oceanview Cabin & All DrinksCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $135 & up -- Chicago Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago