Celebrity Cruises to Debut S.S. Coachella
If the thought of the festival season ending has you crying into your light beer, don't worry. The folks at Celebrity Cruises have come up with a way to keep the festivities going. Yesterday, the cruise line and Goldenvoice, the producers of the Coachella festival, announced plans for a "music festival at sea." In December, the S.S. Coachella, complete with musical diversions galore, will leave on its maiden voyage aboard the line's Celebrity Silhouette. File under: "Yes, this is really happening."
Two unique itineraries will be offered to guests looking to party like an indie-alt rock star that your friends have never heard of. On December 16, 2012 the S.S. Coachella leaves Fort Lauderdale for the Bahamas, returning on the 19th. From December 19th through the 23rd the ship sails from Fort Lauderdale to Jamaica. The musical lineup is the same for both trips and, as of this post, includes Pulp, Hot Chip, Yeasayer, Sleigh Bells, !!! (that is the name of a band, not a typo), and Cloud Nothings among others. If that isn't enough, guests can learn how to DJ from the pros and get a chance to try it themselves; sample wines with DJ James Murphy; or do arts and crafts at the Coachella Art Studios. The cruise is also promising "additional planned activities and surprises."
If you get hungry between sets, the ship offers several dining options including a main dining hall, a French-inspired creperie, a grill, and more. Guests can lounge at the poolside bar, craft beer club, or in what the Celebrity site describes as a "bad ass after hours spot." If you need a break, the onboard spa, Persian Garden, casino, and shops are non-musical diversions.
A variety of staterooms and suites are available to choose from. Rates start at $500 for the Bahamas and $700 for Jamaica (for quadruple occupancy in an inside stateroom; $900 for double occupancy). Payment plans available. Reservations will be available starting Saturday, July 21 at 1pm EST. For more information and to book, head to SSCoachella.com.
Photo credit: Courtesy of Celebrity Cruises
You May Also Like
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- 4 Perfect Japan Itineraries
- NYC's Best New Outdoor Watering Holes
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- Tips from the Jet Set: How to Do Paris Right
- The Ultimate Packing Guide for Europe
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1363* & up -- Premium Economy to London, R/TBritish Airways
- $529 & up -- Summer: Italy-Greece-Turkey 7-Night CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $985 & up -- Panama: 7-Nt. City, Jungle & Beach Tour w/AirLatinEscapes.com
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail HikingLatinEscapes.com