Celebrity Cruises to Debut S.S. Coachella
If the thought of the festival season ending has you crying into your light beer, don't worry. The folks at Celebrity Cruises have come up with a way to keep the festivities going. Yesterday, the cruise line and Goldenvoice, the producers of the Coachella festival, announced plans for a "music festival at sea." In December, the S.S. Coachella, complete with musical diversions galore, will leave on its maiden voyage aboard the line's Celebrity Silhouette. File under: "Yes, this is really happening."
Two unique itineraries will be offered to guests looking to party like an indie-alt rock star that your friends have never heard of. On December 16, 2012 the S.S. Coachella leaves Fort Lauderdale for the Bahamas, returning on the 19th. From December 19th through the 23rd the ship sails from Fort Lauderdale to Jamaica. The musical lineup is the same for both trips and, as of this post, includes Pulp, Hot Chip, Yeasayer, Sleigh Bells, !!! (that is the name of a band, not a typo), and Cloud Nothings among others. If that isn't enough, guests can learn how to DJ from the pros and get a chance to try it themselves; sample wines with DJ James Murphy; or do arts and crafts at the Coachella Art Studios. The cruise is also promising "additional planned activities and surprises."
If you get hungry between sets, the ship offers several dining options including a main dining hall, a French-inspired creperie, a grill, and more. Guests can lounge at the poolside bar, craft beer club, or in what the Celebrity site describes as a "bad ass after hours spot." If you need a break, the onboard spa, Persian Garden, casino, and shops are non-musical diversions.
A variety of staterooms and suites are available to choose from. Rates start at $500 for the Bahamas and $700 for Jamaica (for quadruple occupancy in an inside stateroom; $900 for double occupancy). Payment plans available. Reservations will be available starting Saturday, July 21 at 1pm EST. For more information and to book, head to SSCoachella.com.
Photo credit: Courtesy of Celebrity Cruises
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- Where to Eat in San Francisco Now
- 5 Perfect Dublin Itineraries
- Where to Eat in Orlando Now
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- Top 6 Alaskan Cruises for 2014
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $125 & up -- 4-Star Houston Hotel at the Galleria, Save 55%The Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria
- $1528 & up -- Escorted 7-Nt. Sicily Splendors Land-Only TourApple Vacations
- $799 & up -- Alaska 10-Night Cruises w/ExtrasNorwegian Cruise Line
- $1045 & up -- Oahu & Kauai 6-Nts. w/Air, Hotels & TransfersTripMasters.com
- $185-$265 -- San Francisco 4-Star Hotel, 50% OffWestin St. Francis
- $72 & up -- Phoenix Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago