Celebrity Cruises to Debut S.S. Coachella
If the thought of the festival season ending has you crying into your light beer, don't worry. The folks at Celebrity Cruises have come up with a way to keep the festivities going. Yesterday, the cruise line and Goldenvoice, the producers of the Coachella festival, announced plans for a "music festival at sea." In December, the S.S. Coachella, complete with musical diversions galore, will leave on its maiden voyage aboard the line's Celebrity Silhouette. File under: "Yes, this is really happening."
Two unique itineraries will be offered to guests looking to party like an indie-alt rock star that your friends have never heard of. On December 16, 2012 the S.S. Coachella leaves Fort Lauderdale for the Bahamas, returning on the 19th. From December 19th through the 23rd the ship sails from Fort Lauderdale to Jamaica. The musical lineup is the same for both trips and, as of this post, includes Pulp, Hot Chip, Yeasayer, Sleigh Bells, !!! (that is the name of a band, not a typo), and Cloud Nothings among others. If that isn't enough, guests can learn how to DJ from the pros and get a chance to try it themselves; sample wines with DJ James Murphy; or do arts and crafts at the Coachella Art Studios. The cruise is also promising "additional planned activities and surprises."
If you get hungry between sets, the ship offers several dining options including a main dining hall, a French-inspired creperie, a grill, and more. Guests can lounge at the poolside bar, craft beer club, or in what the Celebrity site describes as a "bad ass after hours spot." If you need a break, the onboard spa, Persian Garden, casino, and shops are non-musical diversions.
A variety of staterooms and suites are available to choose from. Rates start at $500 for the Bahamas and $700 for Jamaica (for quadruple occupancy in an inside stateroom; $900 for double occupancy). Payment plans available. Reservations will be available starting Saturday, July 21 at 1pm EST. For more information and to book, head to SSCoachella.com.
Photo credit: Courtesy of Celebrity Cruises
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 11 Cyber Monday Travel Deals at Beach Hotels
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- Ultimate Safari Planner
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- 10 Cheeses Worth Traveling For
- Venice's Ban on Cruise Ships: What it Means for You
- America's Best Wine Bars
- World's 10 Coolest Ice Hotels
- 15 Best Places to Drink Hot Chocolate in America
- 10 Best US Ski Resorts for Families
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $525 -- Luxe Rio de Janeiro Resort over New Year's EveSheraton Rio Hotel & Resort
- $699 & up -- Cancun All-Inclusive Beach Escape w/AirApple Vacations
- $949 & up -- Caribbean: 7-Nt. Cruise on World's Largest ShipRoyal Caribbean
- $599 & up -- Weeklong Southern Caribbean CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $869 & up -- Westin Maui 3-Nt. Vacation w/AirPleasant Holidays