Navigate the Indoors with Google Maps for Android
For those of us who are directionally challenged, mobile map applications and GPS units have been a godsend in recent years, especially when it comes to traveling to unknown or unfamiliar destinations. Well, now, even if your destination is indoors—for example, a museum or casino—Google Maps (for Android) allow you to navigate them as you would the outside world. Perhaps Apple will reconsider moving to their own maps system now?
In November, Google launched Indoor Mobile Maps for Android—a version of their popular mapping service for navigation in airports, museums, casinos, and even select department stores. Using the Indoor Maps application on your Android phone or tablet, you can see your location, search for locations (i.e. restrooms), and get walking directions to exhibits, departure gates, and more. By using the optional Latitude feature, you can share your location with friends, and see theirs, helping to eliminate confusion about exactly which Greek sculpture you're going to meet at before lunch.
Currently available for indoor locations in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Switzerland, and Japan, Indoor Maps allows users to upload floor plans to the app, and currently has over 10,000 plans available. Recent additions in the US include popular spots in Las Vegas like McCarran International Airport, MGM resorts and casinos, Caesars Palace, and the Las Vegas Convention Center. In time for summer vacation, twenty museum maps have been added as well, including the American Museum of Natural History, the National Portrait Gallery, and the network of Smithsonian museums. A full list is available here.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Asia's 10 Best Second Cities
- 25 Things To Do in New York This Fall
- 10 Best U.S. Train Trips to Take This Fall
- 15 Must-See Literary Sights in London
- Global Entry vs. TSA PreCheck: Which One Is Right for You?
- Europe's 10 Most Epic Hiking Trails
- 10 Places to Go This Fall
- How to Get a Seat Upgrade
- What's the One Thing Fodor's Editors Never Travel Without?
- Hotel Opening: London's Ham Yard Hotel
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $1199 -- Alaska 2015 Cruises w/Balcony, All Drinks & MoreCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $1065 & up -- 6-Nt. Madrid & Barcelona Trip w/Air & HotelsEuropeanDestinations.com
- $74-$88 -- Dominican Republic: All-Incl. Resort, Save 30%ClubHotel Riu Bambu
- $2499 -- Panama Canal 15-Nt. Cruise incl. Unlimited DrinksCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $1199 -- 14-Nt. Panama Canal Cruise on Royal CaribbeanCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $1313 & up -- Bangkok & Phuket 6-Nt. Trip w/Air & HotelsTripMasters.com