Navigate the Indoors with Google Maps for Android
For those of us who are directionally challenged, mobile map applications and GPS units have been a godsend in recent years, especially when it comes to traveling to unknown or unfamiliar destinations. Well, now, even if your destination is indoors—for example, a museum or casino—Google Maps (for Android) allow you to navigate them as you would the outside world. Perhaps Apple will reconsider moving to their own maps system now?
In November, Google launched Indoor Mobile Maps for Android—a version of their popular mapping service for navigation in airports, museums, casinos, and even select department stores. Using the Indoor Maps application on your Android phone or tablet, you can see your location, search for locations (i.e. restrooms), and get walking directions to exhibits, departure gates, and more. By using the optional Latitude feature, you can share your location with friends, and see theirs, helping to eliminate confusion about exactly which Greek sculpture you're going to meet at before lunch.
Currently available for indoor locations in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Switzerland, and Japan, Indoor Maps allows users to upload floor plans to the app, and currently has over 10,000 plans available. Recent additions in the US include popular spots in Las Vegas like McCarran International Airport, MGM resorts and casinos, Caesars Palace, and the Las Vegas Convention Center. In time for summer vacation, twenty museum maps have been added as well, including the American Museum of Natural History, the National Portrait Gallery, and the network of Smithsonian museums. A full list is available here.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Visit Cleveland Now | Fodor's
- Three Places in the Dominican Republic to Visit Now | Fodor's
- Where to Eat in NYC for Fall 2014
- 20 of the World's Best Romantic Hotels
- 20 Hotels That Are Soaked in History
- America's 10 Best Cocktail Bars
- 10 Best Halloween Celebrations in the U.S.
- Long Weekend in Copenhagen | Fodor's
- 4 Reasons to Explore the Alentejo | Fodor's
- How to Use Your Cell Phone Internationally
- $1049 -- Oceanview: Alaska 7-Night Cruise w/Unlimited DrinksCelebrity Cruises
- $1999 -- China: Last Minute Luxe Yangtze River Cruise w/AirSinorama Holidays
- $133 & up -- Toronto Harbour Hotel over Weekends, Save $50Westin Harbour Castle Toronto
- $799 & up -- 4-Star Los Cabos All-Incl. Escape w/AirApple Vacations
- $746* & up -- Winter Fares to Europe from the U.S., R/TAir France
- $939 & up -- Jamaica: Montego Bay Riu Escape w/AirApple Vacations