Viceroy Riviera Maya Offers Cocktail Coaching
Instead of simply imbibing cocktails on your next beach vacation, why not receive some schooling in how to make them?
Viceroy Riviera Maya, which hugs the Caribbean Sea on six acres 40 miles south of Cancun, and just outside Playa del Carmen, Mexico, just rolled out an activity that perfect for those travelers obsessed with artisanal cocktails who want to probe deeper into the craft. Among the guava trees and ferns, you can learn the ins and outs of making a pitch-perfect cocktail.
For the cost of $85 you can belly up to the resort's Coral Bar for an Artisanal Cocktail Coaching class taught by its "artisan mixologist master" (that's the official job title). This isn't solely a demonstration. The goal is to engage students through hands-on tasks, from muddling to stirring to adding the final touch just before serving the drink. Many of the recipes taught in the class rely upon fresh herbs and fruit. And because it's Mexico and not Milan, the focus is on making regional cocktails like flavored Mojitos (using signature fruit flavors developed by the bar like "Very Berry" and "Citric"), "popsicle margaritas" (incorporating cilantro, ginger and pineapple), sparkling drinks (including basil leaves, mango nectar and mint leaves) and Micheladas (similar to Bloody Marys). All of these drinks are on the cocktail menu at Viceroy Riviera Maya.
Classes are scheduled by appointment and for up to four people. Following each 90-minute class is 90 minutes of hands-on experience. Are you ready for this? You'll work behind the bar at the Coral Bar, putting your newfound mixology knowledge into immediate practice, and if all goes well receive an "Artisan Cocktailier" certificate as proof at your next house bash that you can nail a cocktail.
Thinking of a trip to Mexico?
For up-to-the-minute hotel and restaurant recommendations, as well as the best planning advice, check out our Mexico Travel Guide.
Photos courtesy of Viceroy Riviera Maya
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- Ultimate Walt Disney World 2014 Planner
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- America's 10 Best Spots for Seeing Wildflowers
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $199* -- Coast-to-Coast Spring Fares into May, One WayVirgin America
- $1999 -- Spain: 6-Nt. Vacation w/Tours & Air, $300 OffFriendly Planet Travel
- $1299 -- Maui: 5-Nt. Vacation in Resort Condo w/AirApple Vacations
- $59* & up -- Spring Fare Sale on Alaska Airlines, One WayAlaska Airlines
- $749 & up -- 9-Night Bermuda & Caribbean Cruise, Save $600Royal Caribbean
- $1699 -- China: 3-City, 8-Night Vacation w/Air, Save $300Friendly Planet Travel