London's Harrods to Break Into Hotel Business
Harrods, London's famously enromous and opulent shopping mecca, is expanding into the hotel industry. Qatar Holding Company, which bought Harrod's in 2010, said today that they plan to build properties under the brand's iconic name in New York, Paris, London, Kuala Lumpur, and Sardinia.
It looks as though Kuala Lumpur will be its first destination, as they announced that they've signed a deal with Malaysian developer Jerantas to begin the process of finding a location in the city. Vice Chairman Hussain Ali Al-Abdulla told reporters,"We are looking to invest more in Malaysia because we think the economy is growing," continuing to suggest that London and Sardinia would follow.
The Harrods name has been used before, on brands like Air Harrods (a private helicopter service), Harrods Aviation, Harrods Estates real estate, and Harrods Bank.
So what do you think? Will the brand translate as hotels, too? Would you book a room at a Harrods hotel?
Photo credits: Harrods London via Shutterstock
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
I don't know. It seems, with a few notable exceptions, that when a person or Corporation moves into new fields either the original enterprise suffers or the new one fails. Harrod's is unique--keep your concentration there and let others play the hotel game. The department store business and the hotel business are very far apart. I think of the casino/hotels in Vegas where many of the new hotel builders and owners sold off the casino's (supposedly) because of the disparities between the two businesses.
Alice from http://britainloans.co.uk/london-payday-loans-online.html
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina, Right Now
- Ultimate Walt Disney World 2014 Planner
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- America's 10 Best Spots for Seeing Wildflowers
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- 15 Most Breathtaking World Heritage Sites
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $99* -- Sacramento to Boise this Spring, One WayAlaska Airlines
- $130* -- Seattle to Helena this Spring, One WayAlaska Airlines
- $897* -- Fly to Exotic Cook Islands from West Coast, R/TAir New Zealand
- $278* -- Anchorage to Maui this Spring, One WayAlaska Airlines
- $249* -- Fairbanks to Seattle this Spring, One WayAlaska Airlines
- $279* -- Anchorage to San Francisco this Spring, One WayAlaska Airlines