London's Harrods to Break Into Hotel Business
Harrods, London's famously enromous and opulent shopping mecca, is expanding into the hotel industry. Qatar Holding Company, which bought Harrod's in 2010, said today that they plan to build properties under the brand's iconic name in New York, Paris, London, Kuala Lumpur, and Sardinia.
It looks as though Kuala Lumpur will be its first destination, as they announced that they've signed a deal with Malaysian developer Jerantas to begin the process of finding a location in the city. Vice Chairman Hussain Ali Al-Abdulla told reporters,"We are looking to invest more in Malaysia because we think the economy is growing," continuing to suggest that London and Sardinia would follow.
The Harrods name has been used before, on brands like Air Harrods (a private helicopter service), Harrods Aviation, Harrods Estates real estate, and Harrods Bank.
So what do you think? Will the brand translate as hotels, too? Would you book a room at a Harrods hotel?
Photo credits: Harrods London via Shutterstock
You May Also Like
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
I don't know. It seems, with a few notable exceptions, that when a person or Corporation moves into new fields either the original enterprise suffers or the new one fails. Harrod's is unique--keep your concentration there and let others play the hotel game. The department store business and the hotel business are very far apart. I think of the casino/hotels in Vegas where many of the new hotel builders and owners sold off the casino's (supposedly) because of the disparities between the two businesses.
Alice from http://britainloans.co.uk/london-payday-loans-online.html
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Tips from the Jet Set: How to Do Paris Right
- 4 Perfect Southern Summer Itineraries
- Airline Uniforms Get a Fashion Update
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- 5 Last-Minute Memorial Day Deals
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1363* & up -- Premium Economy to London, R/TBritish Airways
- $529 & up -- Summer: Italy-Greece-Turkey 7-Night CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $985 & up -- Panama: 7-Nt. City, Jungle & Beach Tour w/AirLatinEscapes.com
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail HikingLatinEscapes.com