Sicily's Famous Imperial Villa Reopens After Six Years
On Wednesday, one of the most legendary archeological sites in Sicily, the Villa Romana del Casale at Piazza Armerina, reopened after a six-year hiatus. During that time, this UNESCO heritage site was painstakingly restored by 50 experts, and at a cost of 18 million euros.
Why that long? Well, if you had 120 million mosaic pieces to individually clean, it might take you some time, too. The team worked on nearly 37,000 square feet of mosaic, which is one of the biggest draw at the well-preserved 3rd-century imperial villa. Additionally, new lighting and an elevated pathway over the mosaic floors was added for observational ease. During the cleaning process, the team made new discoveries, including a columned porch, a spa, frescoes, and an additional 262 square feet of floor mosaics.
The official re-opening took place on July 4, the 15th anniversary of the UNESCO recognition of the villa. In celebration of the event, however, visitors on July 7 and 8 will be able to visit the site for free. Though the renovation effort cut into the number of tourists to the site, in a statement to the press, Regional Assessor for Cultural Heritage and Identity of Sicily Sebastiano Missineo set the new goal for visitors initially at 500,000 by next year, and 800,000 per year by 2015.
If you happen to not be in Sicily this week, not to worry. The rest of the year, a ticket only costs 10 euro. The ticket office is open from 9–6 (gates close at 7 pm) between end of March and end of October, and 9–4 (gates close at 5 pm) from end of October to end of March. Further information regarding the renovations is available at the villa's blog and at villaromanadelcasale.org, though the text is in Italian only.
Photo Credit: Mosaics in Villa Romana del Casale via Shutterstock
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- Where to Eat in San Francisco Now
- 5 Perfect Dublin Itineraries
- Where to Eat in Orlando Now
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- Top 6 Alaskan Cruises for 2014
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $239 -- 4-Star Grand Cayman Beach Resort, Save 60%The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
- $299 & up -- Caribbean 7-Night Cruises w/ExtrasNorwegian Cruise Line
- $765 & up -- Big Island 3-Night Vacations w/Air & Car RentalPleasant Holidays
- $1049 & up -- Jamaica: All-Incl. 'Kids Stay Free' Trip w/AirApple Vacations
- $2279* & up -- Worldwide Business Class Fares (R/T w/Tax)ASAP Tickets
- $769 & up -- Cancun: Iberostar Garden Bungalow Escape w/AirApple Vacations