Travel Tip: Make a delicious detour at this Long Island farm stand
Summer arrives with a bounty of brightly colored fruits and vegetables. Personally, we here at Fodor's enjoy our fruit covered in pastry and baked to a golden brown, just like grandma used to make. But if Grandma happens to be busy in Zumba class, turn to the baked goods at Briermere Farms.
Since 1960, the McCombe family has been running Briermere Farms in Riverhead, New York, on Long Island's North Fork. And for nearly as long, they've been using the fruits of their labor to make and sell pies, breads, muffins, and other baked goods to salivating locals and visitors from a (seriously) tiny shop attached to their main produce stand. Pies in particular are the draw here, and only in-season fruits, most from Briermere itself, are used to pack those pastries. (Were you to pass by the farm stand with no clue of the pies within, it would look like many others along this stretch of road.)
Clark McCombe, whose grandmother first started making baked goods on the farm in the 60s, recommends the seasonal pies. Right now, he says, go for the berries – blackberries and blueberries stuffed into homemade crusts until they nearly burst. In July and August, when peaches come in, peach pie is the order of the day. The McCombes update their seasonal pie list on their website, so check before you head out. And if you have any room in the car after the pies, live a little and toss some fresh fruit, veggies, and herbs in there.
Photo credits: Farm Stand courtesy of Jon Jackson; nectarines in a basket courtesy of Nicole Campoy
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- Top 6 Alaskan Cruises for 2014
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- The 7 Best Family Beaches in the East
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- 10 Best Regional Theaters in the U.S.
- 15 Things NOT to Do in New York City
- World's Best Honeymoon Destinations for 2014
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- $589 & up -- Cabo: Riu Tropical Getaway w/Air, $420 OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $109 & up -- NYC: 4-Star Downtown Tribeca Hotel, 40% OffSheraton New York Tribeca
- $249 -- Last Minute: 4-Night Bahamas Cruise on CelebrityCruise.com
- $188-$229 -- 4-Star Downtown Indianapolis Hotel, 35% OffThe Westin Indianapolis
- $3199 -- 10-Night Luxury Alaska Cruise on Oceania incl. AirOceania Cruises
- $1141 & up -- Bahamas 5-Nt. Trip w/Air & Access to AtlantisApple Vacations