Travel Tip: Make a delicious detour at this Long Island farm stand
Summer arrives with a bounty of brightly colored fruits and vegetables. Personally, we here at Fodor's enjoy our fruit covered in pastry and baked to a golden brown, just like grandma used to make. But if Grandma happens to be busy in Zumba class, turn to the baked goods at Briermere Farms.
Since 1960, the McCombe family has been running Briermere Farms in Riverhead, New York, on Long Island's North Fork. And for nearly as long, they've been using the fruits of their labor to make and sell pies, breads, muffins, and other baked goods to salivating locals and visitors from a (seriously) tiny shop attached to their main produce stand. Pies in particular are the draw here, and only in-season fruits, most from Briermere itself, are used to pack those pastries. (Were you to pass by the farm stand with no clue of the pies within, it would look like many others along this stretch of road.)
Clark McCombe, whose grandmother first started making baked goods on the farm in the 60s, recommends the seasonal pies. Right now, he says, go for the berries – blackberries and blueberries stuffed into homemade crusts until they nearly burst. In July and August, when peaches come in, peach pie is the order of the day. The McCombes update their seasonal pie list on their website, so check before you head out. And if you have any room in the car after the pies, live a little and toss some fresh fruit, veggies, and herbs in there.
Photo credits: Farm Stand courtesy of Jon Jackson; nectarines in a basket courtesy of Nicole Campoy
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- 10 Best National Parks to Visit This Winter
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guides
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Under $100
- World's 10 Best Ski Towns for Foodies
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- 10 Cheeses Worth Traveling For
- Incredible Private Pools at 7 Worldwide Hotels
- Top 15 Warm-Weather Resorts for Families
- 7 Quirky American Winter Festivals
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $449 & up -- 5-Night Bermuda Cruise on Royal CaribbeanAmerican Express Travel
- $257 & up -- Riviera Maya All-Inclusive Adults-Only ResortExcellence Riviera Cancun
- $419 & up -- 4-Night Caribbean Cruise to CozumelRoyal Caribbean
- $1599 & up -- 'World's Best' Caribbean Cruises, over 60% OffWindstar Cruises
- $894* -- Fly to Exotic Cook Islands from West Coast, R/TAir New Zealand