Design-y Dorset Square Hotel Opens in London
Never mind the Olympics: a new hotel in London promises to heat up the city's hip factor this summer. The Dorset Square Hotel, in the north part of London's affluent Marylebone neighborhood, which opened to guests earlier this month, is fresh off a refurbishment that injected bold colors, contrasting patterns, art, and one-of-a-kind furniture into the former Marylebone. Recently acquired by Tim and Kit Kemp—who own Firmdale Hotels, with properties in London and New York City (Crosby Street Hotel)—the former country-house style was quickly abandoned in favor of contemporary, eclectic design.
Inside the 38-room hotel, each room uniquely different from the next. That Kit is an interior designer is what keeps the hotel's contemporary look from going over the edge. Instead, there are clean lines and bright pops of color against neutral backdrops, including fabrics from her new collection with Christopher Farr, along with hand-woven carpets found in Argentina. Lavish, luxurious bathrooms are decked out with marble and oak. Most rooms look out over the private gardens of Dorset Square.
Also in the hotel is the Potting Shed, a bar and restaurant open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and with a unique design bent that includes commissioned wallpaper, mint-green walls, an extensive wine list, afternoon tea service and locally sourced seasonal foods. Meals range from typical British fare (beer-battered pollock and Hereford Cotes de Beouf with béarnaise sauce) to contemporary dishes (golden beet and goat-cheese tart or truffled mac 'n' cheese). The Drawing Room is a ground-floor space with a fireplace, high ceilings, cozy armchairs and artwork–perfect for sipping afternoon tea or cracking open a new book.
Rates start at GBP $140 per night, excluding VAT.
Photo credits: Courtesy of Dorset Square Hotel
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Things NOT to Do at Walt Disney World | Fodor's
- 10 Books to Read Before You Go to Paris | Fodor's
- America's Most Scenic Roads
- 25 Things To Do in New York This Fall
- World's Best Fashion Museums
- San Francisco's 15 Best Views
- Long Weekend in Bar Harbor | Fodor's
- Ultimate Guide to Vienna's Coffee Renaissance
- Global Entry vs. TSA PreCheck: Which One Is Right for You?
- Fall 2014 Guide to Chicago
- $325 -- Oahu: 4-Star Waikiki Beach Resort, 20% OffSheraton Waikiki
- $4399 & up -- Australia Luxe Ayers Rock, Reef & Sydney w/AirDown Under Endeavours
- $1459 & up -- Luxe Hong Kong, China & Macau VacationsMacau Government Tourist Office
- $230 & up -- NYC: Times Square Westin thru Fall, 15% OffThe Westin New York Times Square
- $2199 -- Hong Kong, China & Macau Trip w/Air, Save $3000Macau Government Tourist Office
- $1498* & up -- Fly to Australia: 6 Cities on Sale, R/TAir New Zealand