Design-y Dorset Square Hotel Opens in London
Never mind the Olympics: a new hotel in London promises to heat up the city's hip factor this summer. The Dorset Square Hotel, in the north part of London's affluent Marylebone neighborhood, which opened to guests earlier this month, is fresh off a refurbishment that injected bold colors, contrasting patterns, art, and one-of-a-kind furniture into the former Marylebone. Recently acquired by Tim and Kit Kemp—who own Firmdale Hotels, with properties in London and New York City (Crosby Street Hotel)—the former country-house style was quickly abandoned in favor of contemporary, eclectic design.
Inside the 38-room hotel, each room uniquely different from the next. That Kit is an interior designer is what keeps the hotel's contemporary look from going over the edge. Instead, there are clean lines and bright pops of color against neutral backdrops, including fabrics from her new collection with Christopher Farr, along with hand-woven carpets found in Argentina. Lavish, luxurious bathrooms are decked out with marble and oak. Most rooms look out over the private gardens of Dorset Square.
Also in the hotel is the Potting Shed, a bar and restaurant open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and with a unique design bent that includes commissioned wallpaper, mint-green walls, an extensive wine list, afternoon tea service and locally sourced seasonal foods. Meals range from typical British fare (beer-battered pollock and Hereford Cotes de Beouf with béarnaise sauce) to contemporary dishes (golden beet and goat-cheese tart or truffled mac 'n' cheese). The Drawing Room is a ground-floor space with a fireplace, high ceilings, cozy armchairs and artwork–perfect for sipping afternoon tea or cracking open a new book.
Rates start at GBP $140 per night, excluding VAT.
Photo credits: Courtesy of Dorset Square Hotel
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- 15 Things NOT to Do in New York City
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- 10 Best Regional Theaters in the U.S.
- Top 20 Free Things to Do in NYC
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- Top 6 Alaskan Cruises for 2014
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- The 7 Best Family Beaches in the East
- $109 & up -- San Francisco: 4-Star Hotel DealsSan Francisco Travel
- $198 & up -- Bahamas: 4-Star All-Incl. Beach Resort, 40% OffBookIt.com
- $199 -- Bahamas Atlantis in Spring incl. Air CreditAtlantis, Paradise Island, Bahamas
- $259 & up -- Oceanview: 4-Night Baja Mexico Cruise w/UpgradeCarnival Cruise Line
- $1799 & up -- Costa Rica 4-Star All-Inclusive Trip w/AirApple Vacations
- $72 & up -- OR: Portland Hotels on Sale Through SpringFeatured Destination: Portland