Design-y Dorset Square Hotel Opens in London
Never mind the Olympics: a new hotel in London promises to heat up the city's hip factor this summer. The Dorset Square Hotel, in the north part of London's affluent Marylebone neighborhood, which opened to guests earlier this month, is fresh off a refurbishment that injected bold colors, contrasting patterns, art, and one-of-a-kind furniture into the former Marylebone. Recently acquired by Tim and Kit Kemp—who own Firmdale Hotels, with properties in London and New York City (Crosby Street Hotel)—the former country-house style was quickly abandoned in favor of contemporary, eclectic design.
Inside the 38-room hotel, each room uniquely different from the next. That Kit is an interior designer is what keeps the hotel's contemporary look from going over the edge. Instead, there are clean lines and bright pops of color against neutral backdrops, including fabrics from her new collection with Christopher Farr, along with hand-woven carpets found in Argentina. Lavish, luxurious bathrooms are decked out with marble and oak. Most rooms look out over the private gardens of Dorset Square.
Also in the hotel is the Potting Shed, a bar and restaurant open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and with a unique design bent that includes commissioned wallpaper, mint-green walls, an extensive wine list, afternoon tea service and locally sourced seasonal foods. Meals range from typical British fare (beer-battered pollock and Hereford Cotes de Beouf with béarnaise sauce) to contemporary dishes (golden beet and goat-cheese tart or truffled mac 'n' cheese). The Drawing Room is a ground-floor space with a fireplace, high ceilings, cozy armchairs and artwork–perfect for sipping afternoon tea or cracking open a new book.
Rates start at GBP $140 per night, excluding VAT.
Photo credits: Courtesy of Dorset Square Hotel
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- Ultimate Walt Disney World 2014 Planner
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- America's 10 Best Spots for Seeing Wildflowers
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $110 & up -- Boston Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $499 & up -- Cabo 4-Nt. All-Inclusive Trip, Half OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $519 & up -- Norwegian Getaway Caribbean Cruise w/UpgradeNorwegian Cruise Line
- $279 & up -- 4-Star Ft. Lauderdale Resort & Spa, 40% OffThe Westin Beach Resort & Spa, Fort Lauderdale
- $1099 & up -- Ireland: 5-Star Villa Vacation w/Air & CarGreat Value Vacations
- $609 & up -- Oceanview: 7-Night Caribbean Cruise, 55% OffRoyal Caribbean