World's Smallest Hotel Set to Open in Copenhagen
A city that loves superlatives, Copenhagen is about to be the home of one more: the world's smallest hotel. Tucked onto a curving street in the emerging Vesterbro neighborhood, Hotel Central & Café will have just one room. The space is 12 square meters (or 130 square feet) and will have one bed, a shower, sink, and toilet.
Perched above a café—that under a former owner was called the World's Smallest Coffee Bar, with just 5 seats—the one-room hotel means to fully immerse guests into this vibrant neighborhood, one at a time. Breakfast is included in the nightly rate at Granola, a restaurant down the street with a great brunch by the same owners, Lief Thingtved and Jacob Kampp Berliner.
Granola is known for its design details, and co-owner Lief Thingtved is applying his background in design to the one-room hotel as well. The miniature building will offer a single guest (or couple) the chance to live like a local in Vesterbro, without any chance of noisy neighbors.
The nightly cost for the room will be $1500 Danish Kroner, about $250 a night. The original opening date was set for April 2012, but has been postponed until late summer.
Insider Tip: Hotel Central & Café is steps from Værnedamsvej, a street known for its quality food shops (cheese, chocolate, wine) and cafes.
Freelance writer Jessica Colley covers cuisine, culture, the arts, and experiential travel. She is currently based in New York City and called Dublin, Ireland home for several years. You can follow her on Twitter @jessicacolley or check out her "Writer in the Kitchen" series on her blog The Great American Travel Dream.
Photo courtesy of the author.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Top Bakeries Across the US
- World's 10 Best Trips for Wine Lovers
- 20 Gorgeous Seaside Towns in Italy
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- Romantic Getaway: Long Weekend in San Juan
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- Where to Drink in Chicago Now
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $1351 & up -- Ireland in Fall: 8-Nt. Trip w/Car from ChicagoGreat Value Vacations
- $429 & up -- Alaska 7-Night Cruises w/ExtrasNorwegian Cruise Line
- $99 & up -- British Virgin Islands Hotels up to 45% OffBritish Virgin Islands Tourism
- $79 & up -- Myrtle Beach Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $579 & up -- 10-Night Cruise to Italy, Greece & TurkeyNorwegian Cruise Line
- $1225 & Up -- Waikiki: 4-Star Hilton Oceanview Stay w/AirApple Vacations