Travel Tech: Best Camping and Hiking Gadgets
Think of the Channel Islands' scenic trails, with amazing vistas and fresh ocean air—not to mention the whale and dolphin watching on the way over. Sound like the perfect place to set up camp? We know. But before you pack up the trunk, you'll want to snap up these key gadgets to help set the mood and capture the moment, while staying well-hydrated during the day and warm at night. Whether you're headed to a national park or something more off the grid, with these gadgets you won't miss those little daily luxuries (much).
1. Samsung W300 Rugged Full HD 1080p Pocket Camcorder
Why We Like It: Just like its predecessor (the W200, featured back in March), this new pocket camcorder is also easy to use, rough-and-tumble, shoots high-def video, and can pause during recording. But it's got a stereo microphone, which comes in handy with the Smart Background Music feature. You can add preloaded music to your videos. And if it senses someone's speaking, it'll automatically lower the music so as not to overwhelm your narration/dialogue. It also features additional filming effects. And it comes in a wider variety of colors: black, orange, and red.
How Much: $160
Buy It: Visit Samsung.com
2. Women's Xspress Fitness Runner
Why We Like It: This versatile shoe provides great cushioning, support and breathability for those invigorating runs and long hikes on light trails. The rubber outsole gives great traction. A removable inner layer provides extra padding and a comfy fit. If you do remove it, you'll see...right through the shoe's heel! That "skylight" adds stability. In addition to black/coral, it comes in white/navy and silver/blue.
How Much: $100
Buy It: Visit Aetrex.com.
3. Organic Insect Repellent
Why We Like It: Lemongrass oil gives this child- and pet-safe insect repellant its sweet, flowery smell. It's sized for easy transport in your purse and on the plane. But it's definitely a good idea to bring along this environmentally conscious product as you explore the outdoors.
How Much: 2.5 oz, $12; 4 oz, $18
Buy It: Visit TickTockNaturals.com.
4. Vapur Sweater
Why We Like It: As opposed to most "sweaters," this one's worn to keep things cooler. More specifically, it insulates and protects Vapur's .4L or .5L "antibottles." So whatever tasty beverage you've got stored in these flexible, rollable containers will stay chilled longer as you're camping and hiking.
How Much: $7
Buy It: Visit Vapur.us.
5. Concentrated Tent & Gear Solarproof
Why We Like It: Help your gear serve you longer. Just a single application of this safe, water-based solvent can double the useful life of your tent's fabric. It's also amazing for backpacks, camera bags and more, protecting them from UV damage and adding water repellency in the process.
How Much: 5 oz, $13; 33.8 oz, $39
Buy It: Visit Nikwax.com.
6. Braven 625s speaker
Why We Like It: Add both tunes and lumens to your path. This rugged, rubberized wireless speaker sounds super as it plays up to 16 hours of your favorite music. But it can also charge your gadgets on-the-go! And using that same port and the included LED flashlight, it serves as a nice little beacon. Adding to its utility, it comes with a lanyard and water-resistant dry bag.
How Much: $180
Buy It: Visit Braven.com.
7. Selk'bag 4G Lite
Why We Like It: Instead of being cramped in a cocoon-like bag, this limb-liberating "sleep wear" system lets you be cozy but free. Its dual front-entry anti-snag zippers make for easy entry. The water-resistant Polyester shell, thermal collar and insulated hood keep you warm. If you need to cool you off—or get to your pants pockets—just open the hip vent and fold back the hand-covers. The feet have reinforced nylon soles with traction-friendly grips. So you can amble around the campsite all snuggly, sneakily avoiding the morning air's chilly kiss.
How Much: $99
Buy It: Visit SelkbagUSA.com.
Enter to win Braven's 625s Portable Bluetooth speaker.
Fodors.com Travel Technology Columnist Scott Tharler is an expert in gadgets, gambling, and travel. He's written four books, plus hundreds of mobile and wireless tips for Sony and PC World. In addition to his daily Discovery News gadget blog, you can find links to other gadget articles, social feeds and lists of his current favorite gadgets at about.me/gadgetfans.
Photo credits: 1. Samsung; 2. Aetrex Worldwide, Inc.; 3. Tick Tock Naturals; 4. Vapur; 5. Nikwax North America; 6. Braven; 7. selk'bags
Member Comments (8) Post a Comment
I prefer hotels!
in the Poconos
Big Bear Lake, California
Sun Lakes, WA
Deceptions Pass, WA - the beach.
I like dispersed camping. I also like smaller DNR campgrounds
My favorite camping spot is Short Beach in Long Island, New York!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- Ultimate Walt Disney World 2014 Planner
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- America's 10 Best Spots for Seeing Wildflowers
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $3860 & up -- Europe: 9-Nt. Trip w/London, Paris, ItalyGreat Value Vacations
- $3999 -- 12-Night South America Cruise on Oceania incl. AirOceania Cruises
- $1799 -- 7-Nt. Luxe Caribbean Cruise incl. Air, $1000 OffOceania Cruises
- $629 & up -- 5-Nt. All-Inclusive Jamaica Trip, 50% OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $539 & up -- 10-Nt. Mediterranean Cruise w/UpgradeNorwegian Cruise Line
- $199* -- Coast-to-Coast Spring Fares into May, One WayVirgin America