Best Coffee Shops in Paris
Coffee lovers take note: Paris has finally caught the global gourmet coffee wave, with new cafés serving up brews worth leaving home for, and some added Parisian frills you won't find anywhere else. And we think these are the best of the bunch.
Bilingual baristas (and co-owners) Nicolas Clerc and David Flynn's passion and know-how shine in Paris's newest coffee house, Telescope, not far from the Palais Royal gardens. With gourmet snacks, a beautiful ambiance, friendly service, and a superlative cup of coffee, Télescope is quickly becoming Paris's standout café.
Coming Soon: In-house seminars to learn the art of home-brewed coffee
This lively warehouse of a café assures a lovingly prepared cup at every step—from beans to brew. Master roaster Antoine Netien selects and roasts beans from small-producer estates the world over, assuring a rich and balanced espresso. A satisfying morning-till-midday menu makes Coutume Cafe a popular spot for lunch.
Paris's pioneering Cafeotheque—it was the first to arrive, in 2005—offers a rotating list of cafés du jour that keeps an international group of connoisseur's coming back. Owner and coffee ambassador, Gloria Monténégro, travels the world in pursuit of the best beans. With scores of varieties to choose from, you're assured a fine, and edifying, cup.
Take it Home: Buy a large selection of rare, "grand cru" coffee beans roasted in-house to make a great gift or Paris memento.
Le Bal Café
A destination for foodies and coffee lovers alike, the two chefs behind Le Bal combined their culinary expertise and coffee appreciation to create one of Paris's hottest brunch spots. Come on a Saturday or Sunday for a sophisticated take on the British classics. The outdoor terrace and modern interior are also great for a weekday lunch or just an excellent cup of joe.
Above and Beyond: An art gallery and bookstore add to the contemporary appeal.
On a leafy corner of the quintessential market street rue des Martyrs, this bustling KB Cafeshop café draws a young crowd seeking a place to hook up (their computers), and take in the friendly vibe, a delicious snack and a mean espresso. With a selection of coffee brewing methods, sensational teas and a mean hot chocolate, satisfaction is guaranteed.
Summer Bonus: The large outdoor terrace is a great people watching spot.
Merce and the Muse
The low-key atmosphere of the funky Marais Merce and the Muse brings to mind New York's East Village enhanced with Paris flea market finds. Don't let the casual atmosphere mislead, American-Iranian owner Merce Muse takes her coffee seriously. A popular spot for weekend brunch, the excellent espresso and fine food draws a hip international crowd.
Hint: Don't miss the calendar.
Equal parts gallery, boutique, and café, the newly opened Le Rocketship in the happening 9th arrondissement has a charming atmosphere and something for everyone. Peruse a handpicked selection of design-savvy items for adults and kids, while savoring the aroma of freshly brewed coffee.
Don't-Miss: Imaginative and colorful French- and European-designed home accessories and gifts.
Photo credits: Le Rocketship, Coutume Café, Cafeotheque, Le Bal Café, Kooka Boora, Merce and the Muse, Le Rocketship
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
Great list. I really loved Cafe Lomi too and wrote a review on my site for that:
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- 10 Best River Cruises for 2015
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in Paris
- A Fool-Proof Amalfi Coast Itinerary
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- America's 15 Best Small-Town Festivals
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- The 7 Best Family Beaches in the East
- $119 & up -- Toronto Harbor Hotel incl. Weekends, Save 40%Westin Harbour Castle Toronto
- $116-$132 -- Hilton Hotel near West Edmonton Mall, Save 35%Hilton Garden Inn West Edmonton
- $159 -- Hip Los Angeles Hotel w/Parking & $25 CreditHotel Angeleno
- $1499 & up -- Ecuador: 6-Night Trip w/Air, Tours and MealsFriendly Planet Travel
- $89-$99 -- Chicago: Wrigleyville Hotel into Cubs SeasonBest Western Plus Hawthorne Terrace
- $509 & up -- Cabo All-Inclusive 4-Night Trip w/Air, $360 OffCheapCaribbean.com