Citi and LiveNation Partner Up, Offer Tickets for Points
It's not always easy to score tickets for the summer's hottest concerts, but credit card reward points are making it easier. Citi announced yesterday that they're partnering with Live Nation to allow cardholders to use ThankYou Points to pay for tickets to see their favorite bands. And they're not judging no matter if that means Kelly Clarkson, Dave Matthews, or KISS. Part of the Citi Private Pass program (which offers exclusive ticket presales, preferred seating, VIP experiences, and special access), Live Nation is the first "Shop with Points" merchant for the Citi ThankYou Rewards program. This means cardholders can now use their points as a payment method in the checkout process on LiveNation.com. ThankYou members can also combine points with a credit or debit card to buy tickets. The easiest way to check out the concerts available via Thank You points is to log onto to LiveNation and type in your location. Concert venues range from the Hollywood Palladium and San Francisco's Fillmore to Warner Theatre in Washington DC, and a dozen branches of the House of Blues.
Citi Thank You isn't the only rewards program that allows you to trade points for concert tickets. Starwood also partners with Live Nation, allowing members of Starwood Preferred Guests to redeem SPG points for some pretty hot tickets. Right now, for example, 5,000 points will buy you admission to see the Dave Matthews Band in West Palm Beach on July 21 or Coldplay in Boston on July 29 (5,000 points each) via Starwood Preferred Guests. It looks like those Dave Matthews tickets are going fast.
Chase Ultimate Rewards also offers concert tickets in exchange for points earned on Chase Sapphire or Ink credit cards. You can also bid for exclusive VIP experiences that include backstage passes. Earlier this year, the site auctioned off VIP passes to a Kid Rock concert, for example. You have to be a card member to access the full line-up of "Ultimate Experiences" but they give non-members a little taste on their demo site.
Fodors.com contributor Cathleen McCarthy is the rewards expert for CreditCards.com and covers entertainment and travel deals on her own network, Save on Cities. Her travel stories have appeared in The Washington Post, WSJ, Amtrak ARRIVE, Town & Country, and inflight magazines.
Photo credits: Credit card with computer via Shutterstock
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Exchanging Your Money Abroad: 10 Simple Tips
- 10 Things to Do in Orlando Besides Theme Parks
- 10 Best Caribbean All-Inclusive Resorts for 2015
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- The 7 Best Family Beaches in the East
- Fodor's Go List 2015
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- 10 Best Safaris in the U.S.
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- 10 Luxurious Log Cabins Across the U.S.
- Ultimate Guide to Louisville's Hip Neighborhoods
- $80 & up -- Houston Hotel Sale incl. Westins, 60% OffStarwood Hotels & Resorts
- $199 & up -- 4-Star Downtown Nashville Hotel, Save 40%Sheraton Nashville Downtown
- $1499 & up -- Ecuador: 6-Night Trip w/Air, Tours and MealsFriendly Planet Travel
- $469 & up -- Riviera Maya: 4-Star Beach Suite Getaway w/AirCheapCaribbean.com
- $116 & up -- Weekends: Houston Hotel near Galleria, 55% OffThe Westin Galleria Houston
- $203 & up -- 4-Star Sheraton Times Square Hotel, 30% OffSheraton New York Times Square