Bank of America Offers Free Museum Admission
You can get in free to major museums across the U.S. if you carry a credit or debit card issued by Bank of America or Merrill Lynch—but only on the first full weekend of the month. Next qualifying weekends this summer are July 7-8 and August 4-5, 2012.
More than 150 cultural institutions in 31 states will let you in free on those weekends if you show a photo ID along with a qualifying credit or debit card. Among them are many of the most prestigious art museums in the country, including the High Museum of Art in Atlanta, Museum of Fine Arts in Boston, Art Institute of Chicago, Museum of Fine Arts in Houston, Philadelphia Museum of Art, Seattle Art Museum, Metropolitan Museum of Art, and Whitney Museum of American Art in New York City. Also on the list are children's museums, science centers and natural history museums, zoos, aquariums, and planetariums.
Cost of museum entry has become prohibitive in recent years, with general admission for one adult at the Metropolitan (for example) at $25, and annual membership for a couple at the Philadelphia Museum of Art at $115. Obviously, this particular card member benefit can save culture buffs lots of cash, as long as you plan visits around qualifying weekends.
To see which museums made the list, go to the Museums on Us page on the Bank of America website and click on the "locate a museum near you" button. You can also register there for text or email reminders when the next eligible weekend rolls around.
Fodors.com contributor Cathleen McCarthy is the rewards expert for CreditCards.com and covers entertainment and travel deals on her own network, Save on Cities. Her stories have appeared in The Washington Post, WSJ, Amtrak ARRIVE, Town & Country, and inflight magazines.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Stunning Hotels in Unexpected Places
- 10 Restaurants Worth a Day Trip in Europe
- 15 Best Beer Gardens in the U.S.
- 10 Last-Minute Beach Getaways for Summer
- 20 Best Day Trips in the U.S.
- World's Most Luxurious Wine Country Hotels
- Best Credit Cards for Travelers
- How to Cure Jet Lag
- Long Weekend in Lisbon
- Seafood Lover's Guide to Brittany, France
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $105-135 -- 4-Star Phoenix-Area Resort incl. WeekendsSheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort & Spa
- $912* & up -- Global Sale on 5-Star Airline, R/T incl. TaxQatar Airways
- $325 -- Oahu: 4-Star Waikiki Beach Resort, 20% OffSheraton Waikiki
- $1282* & up -- New Zealand Fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand
- $109-$139 -- Weekends at West Denver Hotel incl. Wi-FiSheraton Denver West Hotel
- $1469 & up -- London & Paris 6-Nt. Package w/Air & HotelsEuropeanDestinations.com