HAL and Carnival Cruises Launch Vegetarian, Sushi, and BBQ Menus
In a plot to please more palates, two major cruise lines are expanding their onboard culinary offerings to include dedicated sushi, BBQ, and vegetarian menus. Sail on the new Carnival Breeze this summer to sample the line's first take at sushi- and BBQ-driven establishments, or look to Holland America Line's new vegetarian menu, now highlighting dozens of alternative vegetarian dishes in their fleet-wide dining rooms. Read on for all the tasty details for your next sumptuous sailing.
Holland America Line Debuts Fleet-wide Vegetarian Menu
HAL has cooked up a new vegetarian-only menu, featuring more then 50 veggie-friendly dishes on each and every ship—the largest selection of vegetarian options at sea, in fact. The alternative menu will showcase 30 brand-new vegetarian dishes on their main dining room menu, with a full range of appetizers, salads, soups, and entrees. Look for savory choices like Portobello mushroom and chipotle quesadillas, curried vegetable empanadas, carrot and Parmesan risotto, and baked cheese polenta with mushrooms and artichoke hearts. The special menu will be available for lunch and dinner in the main dining room and at Lido's lunch buffet on all 15 of HAL's ships, at no extra cost to guests.
Offering more than 500 cruises each year, Holland America sails to ports in the Caribbean, Bermuda, Alaska, Mexico, Europe, and beyond. Sample the new vegetarian fare aboard a 7-night Oosterdam sailing to Alaska this summer, with rates starting from $849/person.
Carnival Breeze to Launch Line's First Sushi and BBQ Restaurant
The recently rolled out 3,690-passenger Carnival Breeze features plenty of rolls—along with sushi, sashimi, and bento boxes, too—on offer to guests at its new Bonsai Sushi (pictured) restaurant, the line's first full-service sushi establishment. The Asian-inspired menu will include appetizers like tuna and mango tartare and special rolls like the Bonsai Triple E Roll (fresh water eel, BBQ eggplant, Japanese egg omelet, and panko), while the decor will showcase work by acclaimed graffiti artist Erni Vales and, true to its name, several Bonsai trees (also look for colorful koi kites to be flown during special celebrations). Plate rates range from $1 to $15.
The new sushi dining concept will join Carnival's first open-air BBQ venue: Fat Jimmy's C-Side BBQ dishes out grilled favorites (chicken breast, sausages, kielbasa, and pulled pork sandwiches) along with comfort food sides (like corn muffins, potato salads, and baked beans). The BBQ dining is free for all guests.
Set to operate 12-night Mediterranean cruise from Barcelona between June and October, Carnival Breeze offers rates starting from $849 per person. The ship will then offer 6- and 8-night Caribbean sailings out of Miami year-round, with rates starting from $399 per person.
Photo credits: Carnival Bonsai Sushi courtesy of Carnival Cruises; Roasted Vegetable and Mushrooms courtesy of Holland America
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Asia's 10 Best Second Cities
- 25 Things To Do in New York This Fall
- 10 Places to Go This Fall
- 10 Best U.S. Train Trips to Take This Fall
- 15 Must-See Literary Sights in London
- How to Get a Seat Upgrade
- Europe's 10 Most Epic Hiking Trails
- Where to Eat in Montreal Now
- Global Entry vs. TSA PreCheck: Which One Is Right for You?
- What's the One Thing Fodor's Editors Never Travel Without?
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $1275 & up -- Rome, Florence & Venice 7 Nts. w/Air & TrainEuropeanDestinations.com
- $599 -- Balcony on New Norwegian Ship w/$250 CreditCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $749 -- Oceanview: 7-Nt. Alaska Cruise w/All Drinks & TipsCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $1541 & up -- Fiji Islands & Auckland 6 Nts. w/Air & HotelsTripMasters.com
- $183* & up -- Coast-to-Coast Fares into 2015, One WayVirgin America
- $849 -- 10-Nt. Asia Cruise on Royal Caribbean w/$150 CreditCruCon Cruise Outlet