What to Wear: Getaway to Palm Beach
In the posh environs of Palm Beach, Florida, the hobbies are preppy (read: tennis and golf) and the cocktail dresses prim and sprightly. Whatever the activity, the look is sunny and polished. Here we have prime packing picks to have you set for the weekend.
With the French Open in full swing, tennis is the common ground at this vacationer's paradise. Go for pieces that match head-to-toe for a pulled together look. If your plans include drinks at the country club afterwards, pop for a tennis dress. The styles these days, such as this Maria Sharapova style by Nike ($103.97) paired with Adidas sneakers ($80), could practically pass for party attire. Lastly, toss this straw Lacoste visor in your tennis bag to protect your peepers from the Florida sun's glare.
Par for Course
Guys can while away the daytime hours on the green. Take a cue from golf fiend Justin Timberlake, who recently signed on as Callaway's creative director, by packing a pair of modern golf shoes by the brand ($129.99). For the humid weather, go for a classic golf short such as this windowpane pair by Brooks Brothers ($98.50) and add your color on top with this Penguin polo ($79). The bright coral will pair nicely with a well-earned tan.
Birds of the Night
Punchy colors, bold patterns and simple cuts are all trademarks of Lilly Pulitzer, a Palm Beach style maven. Her shift dresses, in particular, are as relevant as ever, including this "Delia" dress ($168) in an extra-large abstract print. Especially for lawn parties or backyard barbecues, go for a solid wedge. J. Crew offers several styles including this cork and suede wedge by Loeffler Randall ($375) in a minty green. Finish the look with mother of pearl earrings ($58) to reference the oceanside setting, '60s style Lucite bangles such as this elegant one by Alexis Bittar ($55) and a simple suede clutch in a jolt of cobalt ($79.90).
For men, the evening look is laid-back classic glamour, such as Gap's slim chinos ($59.95) and loafers – we like this playful rubber-soled style by Junya Watanabe ($470)– worn sockless. On top, layer a clean-cut navy blazer ($128) over a basic white tee. And those with flair can try a burst of pink (perfect for cocktail hour), by tucking this cheerful Ralph Lauren pocket square ($75) jauntily in the breast pocket.
What to Do
Much to do in this dressed-up city centers around The Breakers hotel (a Fodor's Choice hotel), with its nine restaurants and stunning grounds. The Beach Club there, available to hotel guests and members only, offers light fare with views of the ocean and pool. For gourmands, the fancy French restaurant L'Escalier has shuttered pending a complete rebranding to debut this fall.
Tennis enthusiasts will have plenty of clubs to pick from. This area is where tennis pros like Venus Williams are based after all. If you're feeling rusty or want to brush up on certain strokes, try a pro-style camps at the Evert Tennis Academy, founded by Chris Evert and in partnership with IMG. There are programs for all ages.
Golfers who want to hit the tees without shelling out massive membership fees will be happy to find a plethora of public courses. Of course, if you're looking for famous players, best to hit the private spots including those in nearby Jupiter, where Tiger Woods has a home with its own private practice facility (designed by him of course) that's better than many golf courses.
Palm Beach and the Treasure Coast Travel Guide
Photo credits: Love Match: Left, NIKE, INC., Top right, © 2012 Lacoste, Bottom right, adidas America Inc.; Par for Course: Left, © 2012 Brooks Brothers, Center, © 2012 Callaway Golf Company, Right, © 2012 PEI LICENSING, INC.; Manning Up: Left, © 1997 - 2012 Gap Inc., Top center, © 2012 Ralph Lauren Media LLC, Bottom center, © 2011-2012 MRPORTER, Right, farfetch.com; Birds of the Night: Top left, © 2012 Nordstrom, Inc., Bottom left, © 2010 ZARA, Center, © 2012 Lilly Pulitzer, Top right, Alexis Bittar, Bottom right, J. Crew
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- 10 Best National Parks to Visit This Winter
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guides
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Under $100
- World's 10 Best Ski Towns for Foodies
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- 10 Cheeses Worth Traveling For
- Incredible Private Pools at 7 Worldwide Hotels
- Top 15 Warm-Weather Resorts for Families
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Kids
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $525 -- Luxe Rio de Janeiro Resort over New Year's EveSheraton Rio Hotel & Resort
- $699 & up -- Cancun All-Inclusive Beach Escape w/AirApple Vacations
- $949 & up -- Caribbean: 7-Nt. Cruise on World's Largest ShipRoyal Caribbean
- $599 & up -- Weeklong Southern Caribbean CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $849 & up -- Westin Maui 3-Nt. Vacation w/AirPleasant Holidays