16 Reasons to Go to Atlantic City this Summer
For those who live along the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast, Atlantic City is an easy getaway, and the recent opening of the much-hyped Revel gives visitors a new swank resort to put down roots while they hit the beach, spin the roulette wheel, munch on top chef eats, or catch some live music at one of the many venues within this coastal Jersey town. In preparation for summer, here's a list of highlights and happenings this season by the boardwalk.
Hotel Renovations and Upgrades
Revel isn't the only hotel with news. Opened in April, The Golden Nugget Atlantic City (the former Trump Marina) underwent a $150 million renovation, including new restaurants like The Chart House, a renovated showroom, new nightclub, and gaming areas, and spa.
The Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa is currently undergoing a $50 million room redesign, refreshing guestrooms with 46" flat-screen televisions, iPod charger/players, and multimedia phone units, and Wi-Fi connectivity.
And opened in 1898, Atlantic City's Steel Pier, home to the adrenaline-fueled The Rocket, gets a $102 million, renovation including a museum, 2,000-seat ballroom, new rides, restaurants, and nightclubs.
The 9th annual Chefs at the Shore benefit at the Atlantic City Aquarium features live demos from area restaurants. Proceeds benefit the Aquarium and the Professional Chefs Association.
The 4th annual Atlantic City Food and Wine Festival features events, tastings and celebrity chef appearances including Andrew Zimmern, Anne Burrell, Tyler Florence, and Robert Irvine.
May 28-June 3
Taking place at the Stockton Seaview Hotel and Golf Club's Bay Course for the second consecutive year, The LPGA Golf Classic brings together 150 top female golfers competing for a $1.5 million cash prize.
Golfers in the Atlantic City World Amateur Open can complete as an individual or as a two-player team in tournaments on a variety of courses. Open to golfers of any age, $450 per player.
A bevy of musical acts pass through Atlantic City each summer and this year sees the likes of Sting, Maroon 5, Ringo Starr, James Taylor, Sarah McLachlan, Keith Urban, and The Black Keys.
Concert series including the International Night Series at Kennedy Plaza and Chicken Bone Beach Historical Foundation Summer Jazz Concert Series offer visitors free options, while anyone looking for a laugh, can catch Bill Maher, Wanda Sykes, Bob Saget, Jay Leno, and Kathy Griffin doing their schtick. For a full schedule, visit AtlanticCityNJ.com, but here are our highlights.
Phish will perform three consecutive shows at Atlantic City's 142-acre Bader Field. Three-day tickets are available for $150, single-day tickets are $60, and children under six are free.
Metallica will host the inaugural Orion Music + More Festival with Arctic Monkeys, Modest Mouse, and The Gaslight Anthem rounding out the ticket. Two-day passes are $150, VIP passes are $750.
Madonna will perform at historic venue Boardwalk Hall in early fall. Ticket prices start at $80.
Arts & Culture
Presenting the 3rd Annual Tribeca Film Festival Cinema Series every Friday and Saturday in July are Caesars Atlantic City and New York's acclaimed Tribeca Film Festival. They offer guests free peeks at some of the year's most anticipated films in a beachfront setting.
Stroll the docks and parks of Art at the Basin, a one-day event where visitors can view works from top regional artists in Gardner's Basin.
Land, Air, and Sea
The whole family can visit New Jersey's official Tall Ship, the schooner A.J. Meerwald, as it takes up residence at Gardner's Basin, offering public sails through summer.
August 15 - 17
In conjunction with the 10th annual Atlantic City Airshow, the largest on the East Coast, the 2nd America's Armed Forces Parade will begin at 6 p.m. at New Jersey Avenue and the Boardwalk.
Operating in three locations this season—Raleigh Avenue, New Jersey Avenue, and Revel Beach—The AC Surf School offers programs for every level of surfer.
Thinking of a trip to Atlantic City?
For up-to-the-minute hotel and restaurant recommendations, as well as the best planning advice, check out our Atlantic City Travel Guide.
Photo Credits: Hotel Renovations: Golden Nugget Hotel & Casino; Culinary Events: Revel Entertainment; Golf Events: Man swinging golf club via Shutterstock.com; Performance Events: Courtesy of Orion Music and More; Arts Events: Anthony Smedile/ The Press of Atlantic City; Air Events: Atlantic City Airshow by Jackie Attribution-NonCommercial License
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
So exciting,I m glad A.C is getting an uplift In the past I have "run" motorcoach trips from CT to A.C. always had a fantastic time. Perhaps I should bring some motorcoaches to see the NEW LOOK. Looking for a great deal THANKS
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- Where to Eat in San Francisco Now
- 5 Perfect Dublin Itineraries
- Where to Eat in Orlando Now
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- Top 6 Alaskan Cruises for 2014
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $586* & up -- KLM: Europe Summer Fares (R/T, incl. Tax)KLM, Royal Dutch Airlines
- $129-$169 -- Colorado: Aspen 4-Star Hotel, Reg. $399Westin Snowmass Resort
- $549 -- 7-Night Mexican Riviera Cruise w/$100 Onboard CreditCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $1487* & up -- Australia Fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxVirgin Australia
- $99 & up -- British Virgin Islands Hotels up to 45% OffBritish Virgin Islands Tourism
- $739 & up -- 6-Nt. Vallarta Vacation on Private Beach w/AirApple Vacations