Where You're Really Going this Memorial Day
Where are you headed this Memorial Day? What are you most excited about doing over the long weekend? We reached out to all our loyal fans and readers on Twitter, Facebook, and the Forums to find out where you're headed and what you'll be up to over the holiday. Unsurprisingly, you guys have got enviable plans from jam-packed stay-cations to sun-drenched getaways. We're getting our inspiration from you this weekend.
Some Fodor's fans are excited about staying put for fun events, like @Dayenu's son's wedding in the Bay Area. From the Forums, @Patty is planning to kick it in Carmel with their pup, while @Fra_Diavolo has the right idea with barbecue on the mind, and still another will be "soft" opening their nearby beach house to get it ready for other big summer weekends like the 4th of July. One family will be enjoying the great outdoors just outside their door with fun (and semi-alliterative) activities like boating, barbecuing, bocce ball, tennis, Frisbee, and anything outside.
One kid's going to have a ball at Sesame Place, where they host a big Memorial Day celebration with fireworks and Elmo, according to Twitter-er @michfalcone. While another lucky family lives just along the Erie Canal, so they'll be taking advantage of great country roads to explore.
But, tons of you are skipping town for your vacation homes—can we come?
Getting Away in the US
Plenty of Fodor's travelers are hitting the (domestic) road this weekend. After our own hearts, @matnikstym is heading to Kona, Hawaii, to check out the "newly renovated Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort & Spa." Another will be Providence, Rhode Island-bound for a graduation ceremony. We're taking a page out of this book for a long weekend soon: @spirobulldog told us on the Forums that they're flying into DC and spending a few days at Lewis Cabins in Shenandoah National Park before exploring Monticello, Ashlawn Highland, and Montpelier. And Twitter follower @daileytravel mentioned spending the weekend on North Captiva Island, Florida, where there are no cars, just golf carts.
@Ackislander has got the inside track on Nantucket events, like going out this weekend to watch the Figawi sailboat racers arrive from Hyannis. While a fun-loving Forums user is jetting to St. Louis (and Six Flags). Still more Fodor's fans and savvy travelers are skipping town for New Orleans, the Florida Keys (pictured), and New York City. (One reader is flying from San Francisco to New York to join her sister's dinner party—better be good!)
Skipping Across the Pond
It may just be an extra day tacked onto the weekend, but some readers are taking any excuse to hop internationally. We got plenty of trips to Mexico (Cancun, Mexico City) and Canada (Montreal), but the two most ambitious trips you all told us about were to Italy and Nicaragua!
So, headed somewhere fabulous? Didn't get the chance to tell us your plans? Tell us in the comments—where will this long weekend take you?
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Books to Read Before You Go to Paris | Fodor's
- 10 Things NOT to Do at Walt Disney World | Fodor's
- Where to Go This Thanksgiving
- New Orleans' 10 Best Bars for Classic Cocktails
- Fall 2014 Guide to Paris | Fodor's
- 10 Best Biking Cities in the U.S.
- World's 10 Best Art Fairs
- World's Best Fashion Museums
- 10 Artists' Homes You Can Visit
- How to Tip When Traveling Around the World | Fodor's
- $7099 & up -- 4-Star Australia 11-Night Vacation w/AirDown Under Endeavours
- $107-$149 -- Weekends at Dallas 4-Diamond Hotel, Save 50%Sheraton Dallas Hotel by the Galleria
- $1101* & up -- Winter Fares to Paris from the U.S., R/TAir France
- $679* & up -- Europe Fall Fares on 'Best Airline' (R/T)Lufthansa Airlines
- $139-$149 -- Colorado 4-Star Vail Riverfront Resort, 70% OffThe Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa at Beaver Creek Mountain
- $1199 -- Balcony: 2015 Alaska Cruises w/All Drinks & TipsCruCon Cruise Outlet