Where You're Really Going this Memorial Day
Where are you headed this Memorial Day? What are you most excited about doing over the long weekend? We reached out to all our loyal fans and readers on Twitter, Facebook, and the Forums to find out where you're headed and what you'll be up to over the holiday. Unsurprisingly, you guys have got enviable plans from jam-packed stay-cations to sun-drenched getaways. We're getting our inspiration from you this weekend.
Some Fodor's fans are excited about staying put for fun events, like @Dayenu's son's wedding in the Bay Area. From the Forums, @Patty is planning to kick it in Carmel with their pup, while @Fra_Diavolo has the right idea with barbecue on the mind, and still another will be "soft" opening their nearby beach house to get it ready for other big summer weekends like the 4th of July. One family will be enjoying the great outdoors just outside their door with fun (and semi-alliterative) activities like boating, barbecuing, bocce ball, tennis, Frisbee, and anything outside.
One kid's going to have a ball at Sesame Place, where they host a big Memorial Day celebration with fireworks and Elmo, according to Twitter-er @michfalcone. While another lucky family lives just along the Erie Canal, so they'll be taking advantage of great country roads to explore.
But, tons of you are skipping town for your vacation homes—can we come?
Getting Away in the US
Plenty of Fodor's travelers are hitting the (domestic) road this weekend. After our own hearts, @matnikstym is heading to Kona, Hawaii, to check out the "newly renovated Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort & Spa." Another will be Providence, Rhode Island-bound for a graduation ceremony. We're taking a page out of this book for a long weekend soon: @spirobulldog told us on the Forums that they're flying into DC and spending a few days at Lewis Cabins in Shenandoah National Park before exploring Monticello, Ashlawn Highland, and Montpelier. And Twitter follower @daileytravel mentioned spending the weekend on North Captiva Island, Florida, where there are no cars, just golf carts.
@Ackislander has got the inside track on Nantucket events, like going out this weekend to watch the Figawi sailboat racers arrive from Hyannis. While a fun-loving Forums user is jetting to St. Louis (and Six Flags). Still more Fodor's fans and savvy travelers are skipping town for New Orleans, the Florida Keys (pictured), and New York City. (One reader is flying from San Francisco to New York to join her sister's dinner party—better be good!)
Skipping Across the Pond
It may just be an extra day tacked onto the weekend, but some readers are taking any excuse to hop internationally. We got plenty of trips to Mexico (Cancun, Mexico City) and Canada (Montreal), but the two most ambitious trips you all told us about were to Italy and Nicaragua!
So, headed somewhere fabulous? Didn't get the chance to tell us your plans? Tell us in the comments—where will this long weekend take you?
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- World's Best Honeymoon Destinations for 2014
- 10 Things NOT to Do in Chicago
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- 7 Under-The-Radar All-Inclusive Resorts
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- 10 Best Luxury Hotels to Visit in the Off-Season
- 10 Best U.S. Train Trips to Take This Fall
- $100 & up -- Oceanfront Miami Beach Hotel in Winter, 50% OffBookIt.com
- $1399 & up -- 7-Nt. Jamaica All-Incl. Vacation w/AirApple Vacations
- $169 & up -- Downtown Los Angeles 4-Star Hotel, $100 OffThe Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites
- $746* & up -- Winter Fares to Europe from the U.S., R/TAir France
- $125 & up -- Vancouver Stanley Park Hotel, 40% OffThe Westin Bayshore Vancouver
- $233-$269 -- NYC: Times Square Hotel incl. Holidays, 35% OffThe Westin New York Times Square