Abu Dhabi Tourism Opens Interactive Pop-Up Shop in NYC
Since its fictitious appearance in Sex & the City 2 (the scenes were filmed in Morocco) two years ago, Abu Dhabi—the capital of the United Arab Emirates—has emerged as a top destination for style-conscious travelers.
This weekend a full-on pop-up shop in New York City's Times Square expresses just how cool this destination is. Sponsored by Abu Dhabi Tourism & Culture Authority's brand-new promotion office that's based in New York City, the interactive pop-up shop debuted today. Visitors to "Travelers Welcome: A Taste of Abu Dhabi's Hospitality"—the name of the shop–can nibble on dates, sip coffee, chat with perfume mixologists, and receive henna body art. There are also giveaways and prizes.
Etihad Airways, an airline serving the destination, is on hand to help travelers with potential itineraries. Non-stop daily flights to Abu Dhabi International Airport from Washington D.C. debut in March 2013. Already, non-stop daily flights are offered from JFK and Chicago O'Hare.
The pop-up shop is open from 10 am to 9 pm May 17–19 in Duffy Square (the Northern half of Times Square, between 45 and 47th Streets and Broadway and 7th Avenues). Partners in the effort include Abercrombie & Kent, Cox & Kings, Linara Travel, Ritz Tours, and Goway Travel—all tour companies poised to present information about their packages.
Photo credits: AP Photo/Jason DeCrow, Insider Images for Abu Dhabi Tourism & Culture Authority
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- Where to Eat in San Francisco Now
- 5 Perfect Dublin Itineraries
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- 10 Top Bakeries Across the US
- Where to Drink in Chicago Now
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $149-$169 -- 4-Star Lake Las Vegas Resort, Save 25%Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa
- $15 & up -- Nationwide Car Rentals in Spring, 65% OffHertz
- $594* & up -- Fly to Ecuador from the U.S. (R/T)LAN
- $606* & up -- Fly to Peru from Across the US (R/T incl. Tax)LAN
- $1329 & up -- Paris & Rome 6-Nts w/Air, Hotels & TransferEuropeanDestinations.com
- $56 & up -- Oceanfront room at Myrtle Beach Resort, 30% OffSea Watch Resort