Exclusive: Fifty Shades of Grey Author E L James's Favorite Getaway (Plus a Sweepstakes!)
When Fifty Shades of Gray author E L James needs to get away, she doesn't fool around. With book tours and signings and interviews keeping her daily schedule at a full tilt, she escapes to a destination that replaces cell service with a sparkling blue coastline and mouthwatering Caribbean cuisine—St. Lucia. Her favorite part about hitting the lush (and plush) Caribbean island? "No one can reach me!"
St. Lucia does many things well, and letting travelers escape from their daily grind is chief among them. Whether it's climbing the Pitons on the hunt for spectacular vistas or swimming and snorkeling at Reduit Beach (both Fodor's Choice sights on the island), there is nothing stressful or hurried about a holiday here. And with lavish accommodations and sun-drenched entertainment, like the annual St. Lucia Jazz Festival, you can see how easy it is for even the busiest among us to fall in love with the place.
Okay, so you're sold on St. Lucia, too. (Not hard to be.) Book into the luxe, cliff-side Jade Mountain resort for can't-believe-your-eyes views of the Pitons and the crystal blue ocean, in-room pools, and a gorgeous rooftop terrace. Or rest your head at the elegant and intimate Cap Maison with its Spanish Caribbean architecture, perfectly placed infinity pool, and a full service spa with Zen garden.
And enter to win a signed copy of Fifty Shades of Grey (the perfect beach read)!
E L James is a former TV executive, wife and mother of two based in West London. Since early childhood she dreamed of writing stories that readers would fall in love with, but put those dreams on hold to focus on her family and her career. She finally plucked up the courage to put pen to paper with her first novel, Fifty Shades of Grey, which has since become the Fifty Shades Trilogy Audiobook.
Thinking of a trip to St. Lucia?
For up-to-the-minute hotel and restaurant recommendations, as well as the best planning advice (though we can't guarantee E L James sightings), check out our St. Lucia Travel Guide.
Photo credits: St. Lucia via Shutterstock; book cover courtesy of Random House.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Stunning Hotels in Unexpected Places
- 10 Restaurants Worth a Day Trip in Europe
- How to Pack Light for a Trip
- 15 Best Beer Gardens in the U.S.
- World's Most Luxurious Wine Country Hotels
- Best Credit Cards for Travelers
- 20 Best Day Trips in the U.S.
- 10 Last-Minute Beach Getaways for Summer
- How to Cure Jet Lag
- 10 Natural and Organic Beauty Products Worth Packing
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $1140 & up -- Barcelona & Rome 6-Nt. Package w/Air & HotelEuropeanDestinations.com
- $2544* & up -- Fly to Australia in Premium Economy, R/TAir New Zealand
- $2149 & up -- Luxe China River Cruise w/Air, $1100 OffVacances Sinorama
- $1282* & up -- New Zealand Fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand
- $849 -- Balcony: 7-Nt. Caribbean Cruise w/Tips & DrinksCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $1275 & up -- Bangkok & Phuket 6-Nt. Trip w/Air & HotelsTripMasters.com