Travel Tech: Waterproof Gadgets for Playing Music
Whether you're cruising a river in Europe, chilling by the resort's pool, or sloshing about in the ocean, you can still enjoy your favorite tunes. We've rounded up a half dozen travel cases, speakers, and players you won't have to worry about getting wet. Go ahead, press play as you play in the water.
1. Benzitech iDry Case
Why We Like It: With your music player/phone securely sealed in this soft case, you're ready to hit the surf, drift in a pool or jump in a lake. It's got straps for wearing it about your neck, around your shoulder or right on your arm. And it also floats, for those who like to groove out and/or chat on the phone while on the water.
How Much: $40
Buy It: Visit Amazon.com.
2. iHome DK-M13 Speaker
Why We Like It: Hey, adults aren't the only ones who like to kick out the jams! This water-resistant Kermit the Frog speaker case zips closed to protect your music player of choice from wherever around the beach, picnic or campsite the kids take it to rock out. It's also available in designs that feature Minnie Mouse and Perry the Platypus.
How Much: $40
Buy It: Visit eKids.com.
3. SwiMP3.2G Music Player
Why We Like It: This rechargeable player isn't just okay in the water, it sounds best when submerged cause it's made especially for serious swimmers. It clips to your goggle straps; but rather than buds inside your ears, sits on your cheekbones. So you can hear eight hours plus of sleek, tangle-free tracks, while staying aware of outside noises. It's a great way to motivate whether you're doing laps, long distances in open water or just having fun swimming around.
How Much: $160
Buy It: Visit FinisInc.com.
4. Fitness Tech UWaterG4 Player
Why We Like It: As the world's smallest waterproof MP3 player, it's tiny enough to clip to your collar, belt or pocket—or more likely in the water, your swimsuit or goggles. Yet this salt water- and sweat-resistant one-ounce wonder can store about 10 full audio books or a thousand of your favorite tunes and give you six to eight hours of continuous play on a full charge. It comes in black, blue or white—or a slightly more expensive chrome edition. All models include waterproof earphones and, as part of a special Spring promotion, a Dual USB Car Charger.
How Much: $80
Buy It: Visit GearedToBeFit.com.
5. Eco Terra Boombox
Why We Like It: This rugged and very orange speaker-case is great on the trail, at the beach and everywhere in between. Because it's waterproof and submersible—but floats—it's a perfect place to store and protect not just your music player, but cash, ID, keys and other stuff you don't want getting wet or sandy. It comes with two detachable carabineers and a nylon belt for hanging it. And it's also got a waterproof headset jack, in case you wanna blast your music in private.
How Much: $150
Buy It: Visit GraceDigitalAudio.com.
6. Water Rocker Speaker
Why We Like It: With your music player connected to a wireless transmitter sitting safely on the sidelines, you can plop this floating eyeball-like stereo speaker right into the hot tub or pool up to 100 feet away. In addition to enjoying your favorite playlists as you soak or splash, you can also flip on its built-in FM radio. Lastly, it's a beach house favorite for its ability to stream music simultaneously to up to nine other eyeball speakers (each sold separately).
How Much: $100
Buy It: Visit IONAudio.com.
Photo credits: 1. Max Borges Agency; 2. SDI Technologies Inc.; 3. Finis; 4. Thomas Public Relations; 5. Grace Digital Inc.; 6. Ion Audio LLC
Fodors.com Travel Technology Columnist Scott Tharler is an expert in gadgets, gambling, and travel. He's written four books, plus hundreds of mobile and wireless tips for Sony and PC World. In addition to his daily Discovery News gadget blog, you can find links to other gadget articles, social feeds and lists of his current favorite gadgets at about.me/gadgetfans.
You May Also Like
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Where to Go This Summer
- 4 Great Places to Stay Near Yellowstone National Park
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- The Beginner's Guide to Glamping
- Bangkok 101: What (and Where) to Eat
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- Summer 2013 Guide to New York City
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3152 & up -- Italy Luxury Trip w/Air & Rail between CitiesSceptre Tours
- $92 -- Cabo: All-Inclusive Beachfront Resort, Save 50%Hotel Riu Sante Fe
- $150 & Up -- Old Montreal 4-Diamond Hotel, 40% OffLe Westin Montreal
- $2999 & up -- Sydney & New Zealand 12-Nt Escape w/ToursDown Under Answers