Philippe Starck to Redesign the Iconic Sahara Las Vegas
On Tuesday, LA-based hospitality company sbe (the hotel, restaurant, and nightlife tycoons responsible for many a see-and-be-seen hot spot in Los Angeles) and real estate investment firm Stockbridge Capital Group announced that the old Sahara (the iconic 50s-era Rat Pack den that closed in 2011) will come back to life as the SLS Las Vegas with the help of $300 million in already raised funds.
Like the SLS Hotel in Beverly Hills, The Redbury, and soon-to-open SLS South Beach, the SLS Las Vegas will be a high-styled luxury resort with a boutique feel. Interiors will be designed by Philippe Starck, in his first Las Vegas venture, and dining will be helmed by acclaimed James Beard chef Jose Andres.
When it opens in 2014, the SLS will be a mixed-use resort and casino with a host of sbe's lionized dining and nightlife brands, like The Bazaar and Katsuya, and over 1,600 guest rooms and suites. A boon for Nevada's economy, the project will create thousands of local jobs and reenergize the northern section of the Strip which has seen its share of bankrupt hotels and stalled projects in the past few years.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 25 Things To Do in New York This Fall
- Europe's 10 Most Epic Hiking Trails
- 10 Best U.S. Train Trips to Take This Fall
- Global Entry vs. TSA PreCheck: Which One Is Right for You?
- 10 Places to Go This Fall
- 10 Best Casino Restaurants in the World
- Top 10 Fall Trips for Food Lovers
- How to Get a Seat Upgrade
- Ultimate Guide to European Rail Passes
- Wine Lover's Guide to St. Helena
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $73 & up -- Nationwide Virgin America Sale into 2015, O/WVirgin America
- $99 & up -- FL Keys: All-Suite Resort w/Parking, Reg. $378BookIt.com
- $2105 & up -- Sydney, Melbourne & Auckland 9 Nights w/AirTripMasters.com
- $1275 & up -- U.S. River Cruises w/Hotel Stay, Half OffAmerican Queen Steamboat Company
- $1898 -- 7-Nt. Pacific Northwest River Cruise, Half OffAmerican Queen Steamboat Company
- $1199 -- 14-Nt. Panama Canal Cruise on Royal CaribbeanCruCon Cruise Outlet