Philippe Starck to Redesign the Iconic Sahara Las Vegas
On Tuesday, LA-based hospitality company sbe (the hotel, restaurant, and nightlife tycoons responsible for many a see-and-be-seen hot spot in Los Angeles) and real estate investment firm Stockbridge Capital Group announced that the old Sahara (the iconic 50s-era Rat Pack den that closed in 2011) will come back to life as the SLS Las Vegas with the help of $300 million in already raised funds.
Like the SLS Hotel in Beverly Hills, The Redbury, and soon-to-open SLS South Beach, the SLS Las Vegas will be a high-styled luxury resort with a boutique feel. Interiors will be designed by Philippe Starck, in his first Las Vegas venture, and dining will be helmed by acclaimed James Beard chef Jose Andres.
When it opens in 2014, the SLS will be a mixed-use resort and casino with a host of sbe's lionized dining and nightlife brands, like The Bazaar and Katsuya, and over 1,600 guest rooms and suites. A boon for Nevada's economy, the project will create thousands of local jobs and reenergize the northern section of the Strip which has seen its share of bankrupt hotels and stalled projects in the past few years.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Fodor's Go List 2014
- World's 10 Best Ski Towns for Foodies
- 7 Reasons to Go to Miami this Winter
- American Airlines Introduces New Transcontinental Fleet
- Weekend Escape: Holiday Shopping in NYC
- 7 Under-The-Radar All-Inclusive Resorts
- 7 Quirky American Winter Festivals
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guides
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- 10 Best National Parks to Visit This Winter
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1466* & up -- Fly to Australia from the West Coast, R/TAir New Zealand
- $593-$625* -- Fly to Martinique from NYC (R/T incl. Tax)Martinique Promotion Bureau
- $124 -- Kauai: Beachfront Plantation-Style Resort, 20% OffAston Islander on the Beach
- $985 & up -- Riviera Maya 4-Star Trip w/Air + $500 CreditLiberty Travel
- $206 -- Maui Resort on Kaanapali Beach, Save $133Aston at The Whaler on Kaanapali Beach