Tip of the Week: Impress the locals with your language skills from Fodors.com!
Passport, toothbrush, teddy bear (we don't judge), and vocabulary—essentials on any trip. If you're taking a vacation it's critical to learn at least some of the basic words and phrases in the language of your destination. No one wants to be the tourist ordering "foy grass" at the upscale French bistro, or worse, paying an astronomical price for cheese at that bustling Italian market. A perfect primer for your pending plans? Fodor's Language for Travelers guides!
Fodor's has teamed up with the lingual geniuses at Living Language to build a library of words, phrases and language knowledge free for your use. Each language comes with over 150 words and phrases, both written and available to listen to, so you can nail that pronunciation before you board the plane. Learn useful grammar tips and categories of phrase like shopping, dining, and common greetings—a perfect reference for all you Fodorites weighing in on local language etiquette in forums like this one. Print out a handy PDF guide to take with you as you ciao, guten tag and kon'nichiwa your way around the world. Bon voyage!
Photo Credit: Tourist couple via Shutterstock
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Asia's 10 Best Second Cities
- 25 Things To Do in New York This Fall
- 10 Best U.S. Train Trips to Take This Fall
- 15 Must-See Literary Sights in London
- Global Entry vs. TSA PreCheck: Which One Is Right for You?
- Europe's 10 Most Epic Hiking Trails
- 10 Places to Go This Fall
- How to Get a Seat Upgrade
- What's the One Thing Fodor's Editors Never Travel Without?
- Hotel Opening: London's Ham Yard Hotel
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $721* & up -- Europe Fall Fares from the U.S., R/TAir France
- $1499 -- Suite: Mexican Riviera Cruise w/$1250 in ExtrasCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $150-$168 -- Cancun All-Incl. Resort in Peak Season, 60% OffHotel Riu Palace Peninsula
- $1541 & up -- Fiji Islands & Auckland 6 Nts. w/Air & HotelsTripMasters.com
- $2668* & up -- Fly to Australia in Premium Economy, R/TAir New Zealand
- $1313 & up -- Bangkok & Phuket 6-Nt. Trip w/Air & HotelsTripMasters.com