Tip of the Week: Impress the locals with your language skills from Fodors.com!
Passport, toothbrush, teddy bear (we don't judge), and vocabulary—essentials on any trip. If you're taking a vacation it's critical to learn at least some of the basic words and phrases in the language of your destination. No one wants to be the tourist ordering "foy grass" at the upscale French bistro, or worse, paying an astronomical price for cheese at that bustling Italian market. A perfect primer for your pending plans? Fodor's Language for Travelers guides!
Fodor's has teamed up with the lingual geniuses at Living Language to build a library of words, phrases and language knowledge free for your use. Each language comes with over 150 words and phrases, both written and available to listen to, so you can nail that pronunciation before you board the plane. Learn useful grammar tips and categories of phrase like shopping, dining, and common greetings—a perfect reference for all you Fodorites weighing in on local language etiquette in forums like this one. Print out a handy PDF guide to take with you as you ciao, guten tag and kon'nichiwa your way around the world. Bon voyage!
Photo Credit: Tourist couple via Shutterstock
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Visit Cleveland Now
- Three Places in the Dominican Republic to Visit Now | Fodor's
- Where to Eat in NYC for Fall 2014
- 20 of the World's Best Romantic Hotels
- America's 10 Best Cocktail Bars
- 20 Hotels That Are Soaked in History
- 10 Best Home Estate Tours in the U.S.
- Long Weekend in Copenhagen | Fodor's
- How to Use Your Cell Phone Internationally
- 4 Reasons to Explore the Alentejo | Fodor's
- $1215* & up -- Fly RT to Sydney or Auckland w/Fiji StopoverPacificislands.com
- $60 & up -- Myrtle Beach Fall Deals, Save up to 20%Visit Myrtle Beach
- $94-$151 -- Chicago: 4-Star Michigan Avenue Hotel, 55% OffThe Westin Michigan Avenue
- $329-$379 -- 4-Star Grand Cayman Beach Resort, Save 45%The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa
- $499* & up -- Scandinavia & Europe Winter & Spring Sale, R/TScandinavian Airlines
- $798* -- Exotic Cook Island fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand