Terracotta Warriors Invade Times Square
Discovery Times Square has acquired ten new security personnel. They're each six feet tall, weigh about 600 pounds, and are 2,000 years old. Oh, and they're made of terracotta. Starting today and running through the summer, visitors to New York City can get a close look at these formidable warriors. Just maybe not too close – they're still quite fearsome.
The famous Terracotta Warriors date back to 221 BCE, crafted originally to protect China's first emperor, Qin Shihuangdi, after death. The ones currently on display in Times Square are only a fraction of the total number of statues discovered accidentally in 1974. The China Institute partnered with Discovery Times Square to bring the warriors to the Northeast United States for the first time as part of the exhibit "Terracotta Warriors: Defenders of China's First Emperor." Along with the clay sentries, the exhibit features over 200 artifacts including a set of Han Dynasty burial chamber gates, cooking utensils, and ritual items. All artifacts are set in the historical context of the Qin and Han Dynasties in China.
Discovery Time Square is open every day. Tickets are $25.00 for adults, $19.50 for children, and $22.50 for seniors. Visit DiscoveryTS.com; call 866-987-9692; or visit the Times Square box office. Note: The last tickets are sold 60 minutes prior to the exhibit's closing, so arrive early!
Thinking of a trip to New York City?
For up-to-the-minute hotel and restaurant recommendations, plus the best planning advice, check out our New York City Travel Guide.
Photo Credits: Courtesy Discovery Times Square
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Top Bakeries Across the US
- World's 10 Best Trips for Wine Lovers
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- 20 Gorgeous Seaside Towns in Italy
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- Where to Drink in Chicago Now
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $1006 & up -- Aruba: 4-Star Casino Resort Vacation w/AirfareApple Vacations
- $1019 & up -- Iberostar: Cozumel All-Incl. Vacation w/AirApple Vacations
- $2089 & up -- Panama Canal 13-Day Cruise incl. Costa RicaCarnival Cruise Lines
- $169-$199 -- Downtown Seattle 4-Star Hotel, 30% OffThe Westin Seattle
- $69* & up -- Nationwide Fall Fares into November, One WayVirgin America
- $169 & up -- Weekend Cruise to Baja Mexico on CarnivalCarnival Cruise Lines