Terracotta Warriors Invade Times Square
Discovery Times Square has acquired ten new security personnel. They're each six feet tall, weigh about 600 pounds, and are 2,000 years old. Oh, and they're made of terracotta. Starting today and running through the summer, visitors to New York City can get a close look at these formidable warriors. Just maybe not too close – they're still quite fearsome.
The famous Terracotta Warriors date back to 221 BCE, crafted originally to protect China's first emperor, Qin Shihuangdi, after death. The ones currently on display in Times Square are only a fraction of the total number of statues discovered accidentally in 1974. The China Institute partnered with Discovery Times Square to bring the warriors to the Northeast United States for the first time as part of the exhibit "Terracotta Warriors: Defenders of China's First Emperor." Along with the clay sentries, the exhibit features over 200 artifacts including a set of Han Dynasty burial chamber gates, cooking utensils, and ritual items. All artifacts are set in the historical context of the Qin and Han Dynasties in China.
Discovery Time Square is open every day. Tickets are $25.00 for adults, $19.50 for children, and $22.50 for seniors. Visit DiscoveryTS.com; call 866-987-9692; or visit the Times Square box office. Note: The last tickets are sold 60 minutes prior to the exhibit's closing, so arrive early!
Thinking of a trip to New York City?
For up-to-the-minute hotel and restaurant recommendations, plus the best planning advice, check out our New York City Travel Guide.
Photo Credits: Courtesy Discovery Times Square
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Three Places in the Dominican Republic to Visit Now | Fodor's
- 5 Reasons to Visit Cleveland Now
- Where to Eat in NYC for Fall 2014
- 20 of the World's Best Romantic Hotels
- 10 Best Halloween Celebrations in the U.S.
- America's 10 Best Cocktail Bars
- 20 Hotels That Are Soaked in History
- Long Weekend in Copenhagen | Fodor's
- How to Use Your Cell Phone Internationally
- Fall 2014 Guide to Washington, D.C.
- $249 & up -- 7-Nt. Caribbean Cruises incl. Extras & UpgradesNorwegian Cruise Line
- $769 & up -- Punta Cana: All-Incl. Family Trip w/WaterparkApple Vacations
- $419 & up -- Pacific Coast 5-Night Cruise to VancouverNorwegian Cruise Line
- $44 & up -- Las Vegas Upscale Resort Sale incl. ExtrasLasVegas.com
- $3999 -- South Africa: Luxury Trip w/Helicopter & Wine ToursLion World Travel
- $3084* & up -- Premium Economy to New Zealand from LA, R/TAir New Zealand