Two New Brooklyn Hotels Debut in May
Brooklyn is the place to be this spring with two upcoming hotel openings in happening Williamsburg and tucked-away Sunset Park. Best of all, both newbies come with refreshingly affordable price tags for less than $200/night.
Hotel BPM, Sunset Park
Music-themed budget boutique Hotel BPM (BPM = beats per minute) is scheduled to open in Brooklyn's Sunset Park on May 14. Hip-hop deejay DJ BIJAL is behind the new hotel, which reflects his take on smart and affordable accommodations with a musical lilt. Case in point: a BIJAL-created mashup plays throughout the hotel's common spaces (song requests permitted).
76 guest rooms are modest (in size and setup) and modern with wood floors, upholstered green headboards, floating nightstands, marble bathrooms, and sound-proof walls. Smart in-room amenities include eco-friendly bath products, specially-designed mattresses dressed in Frette linens, HDTVs, laptop-size safes, Keurig coffeemakers, and free Wi-Fi. An off-lobby lounge area will host continental breakfast every morning and offer light fare and drinks the rest of the day.
Even without many frills, Hotel BPM is a great value with opening rates from $139/night plus free parking. The only real downside is for those intent on spending more time in Manhattan than Brooklyn—it's a good 30-minute subway ride (on the D, N, R lines) to Union Square, and it takes closer to an hour to get to, say, The Met on the Upper East Side.
Wythe Hotel, Williamsburg
Located in Williamsburg's on-the-cusp industrial area between the waterfront and McCarren Park (two blocks from the also new Hotel Williamsburg, by the way), the Wythe Hotel will open its doors May 1—just in time to host artists and visitors in town for New York's first-ever Frieze Art Fair.
The transformed textile factory, circa 1901, will feature an Andrew Tarlow restaurant (of local Marlow & Sons and Roman's fame), a sixth-floor rooftop bar with unencumbered views across the East River, and a 65-person private screening room. 72 guest rooms run the gamut from standard-style Manhattan-view Kings and Brooklyn-side Queens to roomy corner lofts, with floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking Manhattan, to petite rooms (Baby Queens) and two party rooms (Band Rooms) sleeping four and six people with bunk beds and lounge space.
All of the units showcase some of the building's original details (arched windows, exposed brick, pine ceilings) and have radiant floor heating, custom beds (made from the reclaimed ceiling pine), custom nouveau toile, floral wall coverings, fab artwork, iPhone-controlled surround sound, and free WiFi. Rates will start from $179/night.
Thinking of a trip to New York City?
For up-to-the-minute hotel and restaurant recommendations, plus the best planning advice, check out our New York City Travel Guide.
Photo credit: Courtesy of Hotel BPM
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Places to Go This Fall
- 10 Best Casino Restaurants in the World
- Top 10 Fall Trips for Food Lovers
- 11 Must-See Ch?teaux Outside Paris
- 10 Best U.S. Train Trips to Take This Fall
- World's Best Golf Resorts
- Europe's 10 Most Epic Hiking Trails
- Long Weekend in Palenque, Mexico
- Top 5 New York City Activities for Teens
- How to Pack Light for a Trip
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $269 & up -- 7-Day Alaska Cruises incl. Glacier BayNorwegian Cruise Line
- $63-$79 -- Condo at Panama City Beachfront Resort, Half OffBookIt.com
- $129 & up -- 4.5-Star Puerto Rico Beach Resort w/Wi-FiBookIt.com
- $119 & up -- Weekends: Houston Hotel near Galleria, 45% OffThe Westin Galleria Houston
- $5795* & up -- Business Class Flights for 2 on Luxe AirlineQatar Airways
- $1124* & up -- Fall Fares to Paris from the U.S., R/TAir France