Tip of the Week: Mush like an Alaskan pro, even in summer!
Most people associate dog-sledding with cold weather, snow, and a particularly infamous Alaskan trail. There are options, however, for those who prefer warmer mushing weather. For example, from mid-May through mid-September, Ididaride Dog Sled Tours in Seward (run by the Seavey family, whose son Dallas just won the 2012 Iditarod in March) offers dog-sled tours on wheeled sleds. Each tour is 1.5 hours and travels two miles to the base of Resurrection Mountain and back. Tours include a look at the Seavey’s training regimen as well as a chance to meet some of the fuzzy Iditarod contestants. Book early as many tours sell out.
For those who seek a less bumpy encounter with Alaska’s famous huskies, Denali National Park offers daily dog-sledding exhibitions for summertime visitors. The park keeps its own staff of huskies, which patrol and help maintain the park in the winter, and though they’re technically "on break" during the summer, many are more than happy to greet you on a tour through their kennels.
Thinking of a trip to Alaska? For up-to-the-minute hotel and restaurant recommendations, plus the best planning advice, check out our online Alaska Travel Guide.
Photo Credit: Denali Park Sled Dogs - North To Alaska set003 20060828006 by Tom Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs License
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 US Islands Where You Can Beat the Winter Blues
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- 10 Great Spots in Paris with a Literary History
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- Where to Eat at This Year's SXSW Festival
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $65 & up -- Barbados Travel Deals thru Summer, up to 60% OffBarbados Tourism Authority
- $1119 & up -- Oceanview: 7-Nt. Greek Isles Cruise, Save $330Royal Caribbean
- $66* & up -- Nationwide Spring Fares into May, One WayVirgin America
- $982 & up -- 5-Nt. Belize Jungle, Reefs & Beach w/Air & CarTripMasters.com
- $799 & up -- Balcony on Caribbean Cruise w/Unlimited DrinksNorwegian Cruise Line
- $499 & up -- Oceanview: 7 Nt. Cruise to the CaribbeanMSC Cruises