Tip of the Week: Mush like an Alaskan pro, even in summer!
Most people associate dog-sledding with cold weather, snow, and a particularly infamous Alaskan trail. There are options, however, for those who prefer warmer mushing weather. For example, from mid-May through mid-September, Ididaride Dog Sled Tours in Seward (run by the Seavey family, whose son Dallas just won the 2012 Iditarod in March) offers dog-sled tours on wheeled sleds. Each tour is 1.5 hours and travels two miles to the base of Resurrection Mountain and back. Tours include a look at the Seavey’s training regimen as well as a chance to meet some of the fuzzy Iditarod contestants. Book early as many tours sell out.
For those who seek a less bumpy encounter with Alaska’s famous huskies, Denali National Park offers daily dog-sledding exhibitions for summertime visitors. The park keeps its own staff of huskies, which patrol and help maintain the park in the winter, and though they’re technically "on break" during the summer, many are more than happy to greet you on a tour through their kennels.
Thinking of a trip to Alaska? For up-to-the-minute hotel and restaurant recommendations, plus the best planning advice, check out our online Alaska Travel Guide.
Photo Credit: Denali Park Sled Dogs - North To Alaska set003 20060828006 by Tom Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs License
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Last-Minute Beach Getaways for Summer
- 20 Best Day Trips in the U.S.
- 10 of Hemingway's Favorite Haunts
- Long Weekend in Lisbon
- 15 Best Beer Gardens in the U.S.
- How to Renew Your Passport
- How to Cure Jet Lag
- Wine Lover's Guide to South Africa
- 8 Cooling Beauty Products for Beating the Heat
- How to Use Twitter to Rebook a Canceled Flight
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $1299 & up -- Tuscany & Rome Weeklong Villa Vacation w/AirGreat Value Vacations
- $57 & up -- Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Suite w/Daily BreakfastPalace Resort
- $599 & up -- Grand Cayman Escape w/Breakfast & Air, $360 OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $1115 & up -- 6-Nt. Madrid & Barcelona Trip w/Air & HotelsEuropeanDestinations.com
- $134 & up -- Chicago 4-Star Hotel into Summer, 40% OffSheraton Chicago Hotel & Towers
- $599 & up -- Ends 7/26: Alaska Cruise Sale w/Onboard SpendNorwegian Cruise Line