Buenos Aires Food and Wine Tours
Epicureans visiting Buenos Aires should look beyond the somewhat humdrum eateries found along typical tourist drags like the city’s historic Avenida de Mayo or the blocks rimming the hauntingly beautiful La Recoleta Cemetery. Set out instead on one of these three food-and-wine tours that allow visitors to double up an insightful city tour with mouthwatering samplings.
Anuva Wines for Relaxed Tastings and Tapas
For wine lovers—and especially those who are unable to make it the vineyards Mendoza in person—Buenos Aires's Anuva Wines offers a relaxed and informative tasting of five wines, each thoughtfully paired with generous portions of traditional Argentinean tapas. The tasting takes places at their sunny showroom, the Reserve, boasting floor-to-ceiling glass windows on two sides. Anuva staff pours wines from under-the-radar, quality vineyards in Mendoza, like Carinae and the boutique Bodega Mevi, which you can't find in the U.S. The amicable and knowledgeable staff renders the 1.5-hour session a casual mini-course on the history of Argentina through its wine, an interesting subject matter that's perfectly palatable even without a glass (or five) in hand. Tastings cost $46/person; www.anuvawines.com.
Fuudis for Neighborhood Gastronomy with Locals
Fuudis markets itself as a gastronomic social experience, organizing culinary tours about three times a month that fill up quickly with locals and in-the-know visitors. Each 2.5-hour tour centers on a specific neighborhood, in which attendees pause at a different restaurant for each of the three courses (appetizer, entrée, dessert). Fuudis’ foodie cofounders, an Argentinean and Australian, are highly selective about the inclusions, incorporating stops in eateries touting the most sought-after reservations in the city, as well as more unexpected locations (the dessert segment of the Villa Crespo tour takes place in a local caterer’s kitchen, starting with an array of small cakes and concluding with cupcake decorating). Tours cost $50/person; www.fuudis.com.
Time Out Wine Tour in Trendy Palermo Soho
Participants in the wine-focused Time Out Wine Tour also seek out the best restaurants in a specific neighborhood. In Palermo Soho, it's a leisurely walk between four eateries in the ever-trendy Palermo Soho quarter, where sophisticated Argentines regularly while away hours shopping and dining. The 2.5-hour tours are led by an English-speaking sommelier acting as a guide and providing insight into each of the seven bottles tasted. All of the chosen tasting sites are inviting, popular eateries in town, such as Fodor’s Choice steakhouse Don Julio; paired snacks are also served at handful of the locations. Tours cost $50/person; www.timeout.com.
Thinking of a trip to Buenos Aires?
For up-to-the-minute hotel and restaurant recommendations, plus the best planning advice, check out our online Buenos Aires Travel Guide.
Photo Credits: courtesy Karina Martinez-Carter
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
I also wanted to add the food tour that my family went on in BA, Parrilla Tour Buenos Aires. It was a great way to see places that real locals eat at and taste delicious foods. The tour was led by a native English speaker that was extremely knowledgeable of Argentine culture and history as well as the local dining scene.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 11 Cyber Monday Travel Deals at Beach Hotels
- Ultimate Safari Planner
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- 10 Cheeses Worth Traveling For
- Venice's Ban on Cruise Ships: What it Means for You
- World's 10 Coolest Ice Hotels
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- America's Best Wine Bars
- 10 Best US Ski Resorts for Families
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1198-$1278* -- New Zealand Fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand
- $1645 -- UAE: Dubai & Abu Dhabi 6-Night Vacation, $550 OffGoway Travel with Definitely Dubai & Abu Dhabi Tourism
- $229 & up -- Caribbean 7-Night Cruise; Kids Sail FreeNorwegian Cruise Line
- $1739 -- Spring Sale: 7-Night Holland & Belgium River CruiseAvalon Waterways