The Season Begins for Reward Travel
Vacation season is fast approaching and that means credit card holders are cashing in their rewards to book trips.
According to a recent survey by Capital One, rewards card holders are two times more likely to be taking a trip this spring (42 percent) and three times more likely this summer (64 percent) than during the 2012 winter holidays. Twenty percent of those planning a family vacation this spring have redeemed or plan to redeem rewards for their travel.
Nearly two-thirds will take their big vacation of the year this summer, with 28 percent using frequent flyer miles to purchase domestic airfare. Domestic airline tickets are the third most popular rewards redemption option, after cash (45 percent) and gift cards (32 percent). Most people use gift cards for shopping and dining, while only 6 percent use them to pay for gas, even with gas approaching $5 per gallon.
Fodors.com contributor Cathleen McCarthy is the rewards expert for CreditCards.com and covers hotel and travel deals in Northeast cities on her own network, Save on Cities. Her stories have appeared in The Washington Post, WSJ, Amtrak ARRIVE, Town & Country, and inflight magazines.
Photo Credit: Online Shopping via Shutterstock
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Stunning Hotels in Unexpected Places
- 10 Restaurants Worth a Day Trip in Europe
- 15 Best Beer Gardens in the U.S.
- 10 Last-Minute Beach Getaways for Summer
- 20 Best Day Trips in the U.S.
- World's Most Luxurious Wine Country Hotels
- Best Credit Cards for Travelers
- How to Cure Jet Lag
- Long Weekend in Lisbon
- Seafood Lover's Guide to Brittany, France
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $2899 & up -- Australia: Sydney Trip w/Air & Tours, $460 OffDestination New South Wales
- $1469 & up -- London & Paris 6-Nt. Package w/Air & HotelsEuropeanDestinations.com
- $1195* & up -- Summer Fare Sale to Paris from the U.S., R/TAir France
- $139* & up -- Nationwide Fare Sale on American, R/TAmerican Airlines
- $802* & up -- Europe Summer Fare Sale from the U.S., R/TAir France
- $912* & up -- Global Sale on 5-Star Airline, R/T incl. TaxQatar Airways