New York's Landmark Algonquin Hotel Reopens in May
The Algonquin Hotel, New York City's oldest operating property, has announced it will reopen on May 25 after a multimillion-dollar face-lift. The Midtown landmark has been a breeding ground for the literati for over a century (Round Tablers—a celebrated group of New York City writers, actors, and assorted intellectuals, like Dorothy Parker—called the Algonquin home for years). Renovations, though extreme, will not upstage the property’s rich history.
Original millwork and the parlor-style lobby with its intimate seating areas will remain (but with updated furnishings) and the second floor will pay homage to the Round Table with a collection of memorabilia. The 181 refreshed guest rooms will feature "picture window" headboards, silk-screened damask chandeliers, and built-in bay window reading seats (in some). Glass shower stalls will replace old tubs and new Italian black-and-white tiled floors will create a clean, classic look in bathrooms.
The Algonquin’s long-time resident cat Matilda will return from her country leave in time for the reopening, and to celebrate, the hotel will offer a discount package in her honor. The deal includes accommodations for two people, continental breakfast, two cocktails at the legendary Blue Bar, a feline-focused book, Swiss chocolate, and an eye mask (for catnapping), all for $329/night. www.algonquinhotel.com
Thinking of a trip to New York City?
For up-to-the-minute hotel and restaurant recommendations, plus the best planning advice, check out our New York City Travel Guide.
Photo Credit: courtesy Algonquin Hotel
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Last-Minute Beach Getaways for Summer
- 20 Best Day Trips in the U.S.
- 10 of Hemingway's Favorite Haunts
- Long Weekend in Lisbon
- 15 Best Beer Gardens in the U.S.
- How to Renew Your Passport
- How to Cure Jet Lag
- Wine Lover's Guide to South Africa
- 8 Cooling Beauty Products for Beating the Heat
- How to Use Twitter to Rebook a Canceled Flight
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $199 -- Hawaii: 4-Star Kauai Beachfront Resort, $110 OffKauai Marriott Resort
- $134 & up -- Chicago 4-Star Hotel into Summer, 40% OffSheraton Chicago Hotel & Towers
- $1129 & up -- 5-Nt. All-Incl. Costa Rica Beach Getaway w/AirCheapCaribbean.com
- $1936 & up -- 7-Nt. Escorted Peru & Machu Picchu Trip w/AirTripMasters.com
- $98* & up -- Toronto: Summer Fares from Across the US, O/WToronto Escapes
- $159 & up -- Baltimore 4-Star Inner Harbor Hotel, 40% OffSheraton Inner Harbor Hotel