New York's Landmark Algonquin Hotel Reopens in May
The Algonquin Hotel, New York City's oldest operating property, has announced it will reopen on May 25 after a multimillion-dollar face-lift. The Midtown landmark has been a breeding ground for the literati for over a century (Round Tablers—a celebrated group of New York City writers, actors, and assorted intellectuals, like Dorothy Parker—called the Algonquin home for years). Renovations, though extreme, will not upstage the property’s rich history.
Original millwork and the parlor-style lobby with its intimate seating areas will remain (but with updated furnishings) and the second floor will pay homage to the Round Table with a collection of memorabilia. The 181 refreshed guest rooms will feature "picture window" headboards, silk-screened damask chandeliers, and built-in bay window reading seats (in some). Glass shower stalls will replace old tubs and new Italian black-and-white tiled floors will create a clean, classic look in bathrooms.
The Algonquin’s long-time resident cat Matilda will return from her country leave in time for the reopening, and to celebrate, the hotel will offer a discount package in her honor. The deal includes accommodations for two people, continental breakfast, two cocktails at the legendary Blue Bar, a feline-focused book, Swiss chocolate, and an eye mask (for catnapping), all for $329/night. www.algonquinhotel.com
Thinking of a trip to New York City?
For up-to-the-minute hotel and restaurant recommendations, plus the best planning advice, check out our New York City Travel Guide.
Photo Credit: courtesy Algonquin Hotel
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- World's Best Honeymoon Destinations for 2014
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- Fodor's Go List 2015
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in Paris
- New All-Inclusive Resort Azul Sensatori Jamaica Opens in Negril
- 5 Reasons to Visit Addis Ababa Now
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- $50 & up -- Myrtle Beach Hotel & Resort SaleVisit Myrtle Beach
- $162 & up -- Ireland 5-Star Hotel & Spa into the SpringTourism Ireland
- $79-$86 -- NYC Hotel near Times Square w/Wi-Fi, 65% OffBookIt.com
- $159 & up -- LA: West Hollywood Hotel Deals w/ExtrasVisit West Hollywood
- $103 & up -- NYC: Starwood Hotel Sale, Up to 30% OffStarwood Hotels and Resorts
- $394 -- Balcony: 4-Night Bahamas Cruise on CelebrityCruise.com