New York's Landmark Algonquin Hotel Reopens in May
The Algonquin Hotel, New York City's oldest operating property, has announced it will reopen on May 25 after a multimillion-dollar face-lift. The Midtown landmark has been a breeding ground for the literati for over a century (Round Tablers—a celebrated group of New York City writers, actors, and assorted intellectuals, like Dorothy Parker—called the Algonquin home for years). Renovations, though extreme, will not upstage the property’s rich history.
Original millwork and the parlor-style lobby with its intimate seating areas will remain (but with updated furnishings) and the second floor will pay homage to the Round Table with a collection of memorabilia. The 181 refreshed guest rooms will feature "picture window" headboards, silk-screened damask chandeliers, and built-in bay window reading seats (in some). Glass shower stalls will replace old tubs and new Italian black-and-white tiled floors will create a clean, classic look in bathrooms.
The Algonquin’s long-time resident cat Matilda will return from her country leave in time for the reopening, and to celebrate, the hotel will offer a discount package in her honor. The deal includes accommodations for two people, continental breakfast, two cocktails at the legendary Blue Bar, a feline-focused book, Swiss chocolate, and an eye mask (for catnapping), all for $329/night. www.algonquinhotel.com
Thinking of a trip to New York City?
For up-to-the-minute hotel and restaurant recommendations, plus the best planning advice, check out our New York City Travel Guide.
Photo Credit: courtesy Algonquin Hotel
You May Also Like
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Where to Go This Summer
- 4 Great Places to Stay Near Yellowstone National Park
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- The Beginner's Guide to Glamping
- Bangkok 101: What (and Where) to Eat
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- Summer 2013 Guide to New York City
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3152 & up -- Italy Luxury Trip w/Air & Rail between CitiesSceptre Tours
- $92 -- Cabo: All-Inclusive Beachfront Resort, Save 50%Hotel Riu Sante Fe
- $150 & Up -- Old Montreal 4-Diamond Hotel, 40% OffLe Westin Montreal
- $2999 & up -- Sydney & New Zealand 12-Nt Escape w/ToursDown Under Answers